Mirroring workbook

rbscott1989

Hello,

I am having an issue that I can't seem to find a solutionto. I have 2 separate excelworkbooks. The main workbook containsseveral worksheets that are all linked to one worksheet (WIZARD). That worksheet is then linked to a user form(COMPANY SAT REQUEST). On one workbook Ihave it to where the user form works throughout the entire workbook. However, 1 the file size is too large and 2 Iwant to restrict the users from accessing the rest of the worksheets.
What I want to be able to do is have a separate workbookwith just the user form and then when the user makes updates the data is pulledto the correlating workbook with the user form which allows the data to bedistributed across the rest of the workbook. Essentially I just want to mirror whatever the user puts on the form.
In the form I have several drop down lists and checkboxes. I want everything to include thecheck box values to copy over. Can thiseven be done?!
Any help you gurus can offer is greatly appreciated!
Ryan

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Good.

I don't see a correlation between all of the fields on the COMPANY SAT REQUEST sheet and the WIZARD sheet.

Would you be so kind to provide an 'equals' list for me, resembling like the following so I can understand the correlation ?

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
Company Sat RequestWizard
RequestorProgram Mgr / Last, First, Middle
RankRank
Duty PositionRHN
Mission TitleMission Title
etc.etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Requestor information/Rank/Positon is just for our awareness (who to contact for questions) - This info becomes irrelevant to the rest of the workbook

RHN is what we select (the user will not have access to this)

Mission Title - correlates to the mission title on the WIZARD which in turn correlates to the NETWORK DIAGRAM

Base - is the base that mission will be conducted on - Lat & Long auto populate based on their selection. If the Location is not listed then they enter custom info. I have an IF statement to pull data based off of what is entered.

Upvote 0

From your description so far what I envision is similar to another project I completed for a government client. They have employees in the field that perform construction site inspections
to insure everything meets required standards. The employee fills out the "form" (a sheet of fields pertaining to various standards), then that data is stored in a database sheet (hidden from
the user's view/access). When the employee returns to their office and connects to their intranet, they click the "SEND" button on the form and the data is transferred from their field
copy of the workbook to the master workbook database. From that master workbook database the Executive Staff are able to search any active project to review various standards.

The Executive form version matches the field employee's copy. All that data stored on the master workbook database populates all the form fields. There are other variations how the
data is recovered from the master database and displayed as well for different purposes.

The attached PDF is the other client's field employee's version. Most of the fields are drop downs from which they can select. That eliminates errors and provides a consistent input of
data.

I appreciate your explanations / descriptions so far but I'm still a little lost.

Knowing what info your requestor's are submitting & does it go into the master database for later retrieval & how is the data subsequently pulled out of the database & to which sheet / fields does the
data go .... all of that is what is required to move forward.

The best method (for me) is :

Sheet2 / Field: Last Name goes to Sheet4 / Cell A2

Sheet2 / Field: First Name goes to Sheet4 / Cell B2

Sheet2 / Field: Mid Ini goes to Sheet4 / Cell C2

Sheet2 / Field: Rank goes to Sheet4 / Cell E2

Sheet2 Field: Requested Date goes to Sheet4 / Cell G2

etc.

etc.

It will take some time and effort to accomplish the above but it will clearly state where everything goes.

Additional Questions:

So the only thing they fill in that transfers to the WIZARD sheet is MISSION TITLE & BASE ? The remainder of the information disappears or it is needed to be stored in the database ?

What does your database look like ? Is it another Excel sheet ? What are the column headers ?

PDF example : https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/b1FnnmXY4Hx0CYkqeZGlgqZBYyhbb6HvWgfE3BGRFjW

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back