Moderate Question: Using "s within a string in VBA

Bill Bisco

Alright, I want to use the QueryDefs property to change the SQL of one of my queries to a different SQL. For Example:

Code:
Dim dbsCurrent As Database
Dim qryName As QueryDef
Dim strSQL As String

Set dbsCurrent = CurrentDb
Set qryName = dbsCurrent.QueryDefs("qryProcessSelectLSSubform")

strSQL = "SELECT tblProcesses.[Process Name], tblProcesses.ProcessSEQ, tblProcesses.StationID, tblStations.[Station Name], tblStations.Side, tblStations.StationSEQ, tblZones.[Zone Name], tblZones.ZoneSEQ, tblProcesses.Time, tblProcesses.ProcessType, tblProcesses.ProcessSubType, tblZones.LineSpeed, tblStations.StationID, [Station Name] & " " & [Side] AS Station, Sum(tblElements.ElementTime) AS SumOfElementTime"
Here's the Problem: Within my code I have used " ". [Station Name] & " " & [Side] AS Station

As a result I can't get VBA to work cause VBA wants " " to mean a beginning or end to a String But SQL wants " " to mean an additional word that I'm adding.

Is there any way to get VBA to process this SQL code without overly changing my database?

Sincerely,
Bill

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
You can get around it by doubling, tripling, or quadrupling up the quotes marks (can't remember which), but quite frankly I find that very confusing. If you want to denote literal quotes marks, you can do so by using the ASCII code number for quote marks, which is 34.

So in VBA, if you wanted to place quotes marks around an entry that is coming off a Text field on a Form, it would look something like this:

... = Chr(34) & [MyForm]![MyTextField] & Chr(34) ...

Just remember that the Chr(34) must be located outside of the quotes, or else it will be treated as literal text like everything found between quotes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back