Modifiying Linked Table

herbc0704

Board Regular
I inherited a database. I have been trying to modify a table but I get the following message:

Table 'Sales" is a linked table whose design can't be modified. If you want to add or remove fileds or change their properties or data types, you must do so in the source database.

How do I accomplish that?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Right click on the tabl name, select Linked Table Manager and see where the source table is coming from.

Also, what exactly is it that you are trying to modify, and for what purpose (the reason why I as asking is because there may be another way around the issue is we know what you are trying to do and where you are going with it).

Upvote 0
Joe,

In this table are extra user definable fields that were designed into the table. I would like to capture information in a couple of fields. The fdata type for tese fields are currently set to text and one of the the fields I would like to capture date time information.

Upvote 0
If they were added to the source table, then just refereshing your links should reflect that and start showing the fields.

Just go into the Linked Table Manager liked I described in my last post, checked the table name that has been changed, and click the OK button.

Upvote 0
User-definable fields? How's that working?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back