Modify date format to use NETWORKDAYS VBA

SAMCRO2014

Board Regular
Hi. I am trying to format my dates from YY.MM.DD to a usable format to use with the NETWORKDAYS function. The report I exported only comes out with the dates as YY.MM.DD which NETWORKDAYS function does not like. I have over 50K of data with this data format. I tried creating a loop but I just can't seem to get the date format correct.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
If you use this code in the NETWORKDAYS formula instead of the date field (changing A1 to whatever the cell you want to reference is) it should work:

DATE(LEFT(A1,2),MID(A1,4,2),RIGHT(A1,2))

Upvote 0
It is giving me the incorrect day count. It should be 5 days but the formula is counting 4 days.

H2 = 18.09.17 (start date)
I2 = 18.09.21 (end date)

=NETWORKDAYS((DATE(LEFT(H2,2),MID(H2,4,2),RIGHT(H2,2))),(DATE(LEFT(I2,2),MID(I2,4,2),RIGHT(I2,2))),0)

Upvote 0
It's because with such an approach, the dates are converted into 1918-09-17 and 1918-09-21.

You can convert a column of your data into Excel dates by using the Text to Columns Wizard and selecting YMD as the column data format on Step 3 of 3.

Upvote 0
It is giving me the incorrect day count. It should be 5 days but the formula is counting 4 days.

H2 = 18.09.17 (start date)
I2 = 18.09.21 (end date)

=NETWORKDAYS((DATE(LEFT(H2,2),MID(H2,4,2),RIGHT(H2,2))),(DATE(LEFT(I2,2),MID(I2,4,2),RIGHT(I2,2))),0)

Well ..... taking Tetra201 into account you may need to use

=NETWORKDAYS((2000+DATE(LEFT(H2,2),MID(H2,4,2),RIGHT(H2,2))),(2000+DATE(LEFT(I2,2),MID(I2,4,2),RIGHT(I2,2))),0)+1

The 2000+ will make the century correct (for the next 80 odd years anyway) and as NETWORKDAYS gives the difference between the dates you need to add another day hence +1 at the end to make it inclusive of start date

Upvote 0
One way:

=NETWORKDAYS(SUBSTITUTE(20&H2,".","/"),SUBSTITUTE(20&I2,".","/"))

Upvote 0
I thought my problem was fixed but it is not :(

If my start date falls on a weekend, such as 2018.04.01 - it gives me a day too much without the "+1"
If my start date and end date are the same - it gives me no data but I need it to say one

Start Date End Date Calculates Should be
2018.04.01 2018.06.13 54 days 53 days
2018.07.27 2018.07.27 0 days 1 day

I have 50K lines of data and I cannot go through each one individually. Is there another function I can use in my macro?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Put briefly then, I think you need to check the dates for being a weekend (I usually check for "S" in the first character of the day, but others use the day number) .... then only add 1 if both are not a weekend

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back