Modifying an add-in

sxpeter

Since I have received no replies to my earlier post seeking someone who has modified the MSNStockQuote add-in, I have to conclude that nobody has done it. It's a terrific tool, and I can't understand my MS didn't include the dividends per share as an optional output. Anyway, can someone educate me about opening up an Excel add-in so that it can be modified? I'm not a VBA expert, but I'm pretty sure that I can add a 26th option to a function that already has 25 defined options. I manage several stock portfolios for family and extended family members, and manually inputting the dividend info is getting to be quite a chore. Any suggestions are welcome.

sxpeter

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Modifying this addin would be against the EULA and illegal, you'd need to ask MS to make the updates for you, good luck.

Also, this isn't an Excel Addin in the classic sense, ie it's not an xla, it's a dll, possibly a COM addin written using Office Developer.

AFAIK, reverse engineering that will be impossible.

You probably need to start from scratch.

Z

Upvote 0
zilpher,
Thanks for your reply. I was afraid that might be the answer. I'm not good enough in VBA to develop what I need from scratch, so I guess I'll have to continue to bug Microsoft. It's just hard to understand why MS didn't include that capability in the add-in, but then a lot of things they do puzzle me.
sxpeter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fyfe54

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back