Monte Carlo Simulation for Risk Exposure on a Project

Bugeye

<style type="text/css"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545} </style>I’m trying to create a Monte Carlo simulation using Excel for an engineering project management situation.
I have 100 or so project risks that threaten my project. Each one of these risks is quantified in dollars (that I know).
I would like to run a simulation in which I randomize the sum total amount of risks that have occurred and then repeat this 10K times.
To clarify this, let’s take a simple example in which I have only three risks to my project. The exposure of Risk A happening is $100; i.e., I will incur a $100 cost if this risk is realized. The exposure of Risk B is $500. And risk exposure of Risk C is $1000.
I can randomize the occurrence of each of these risks and add them up. For instance, Risk A might not occur, Risk B does, and Risk C also does. This scenario would result is a cost of $0+$500+$1000 = $1000.
Another scenario might have Risk A and B happen, but not C, which would cost me $100+$500+0=$600. Or all three occur ($1600). Or none ($0).
To keep things simple, let's assume that a risk has a 50:50 chance of occuring.
I want to set up a simulation that repeats this 10K times. I would then be able to create histograms and distribution curves to explore my probability exposure of risk.
How would I set this up?
I know I can do something like create a random number between 0-1, and if the number is less than 0.5 the risk value gets added to a sum total cell, and if it’s greater than 0.5 it wouldn’t be added. I can do this for all 100 risks relatively easy.
But then how do I repeat this 10K times?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Sorry, I mistyped the sum of the first 3-risk scenario. It should have been: $0+$500+$1000=$1500 (not $1000).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back