Month/Quarter - If Statement

nymyth

Board Regular
Hi team,

I am trying to do the following. I have a cell A1 that has a dropdown of months (jan, feb, mar...) and that has a name of 'date'.

In another tab I have a cell that I want the text to change depending on the month selected in the first tab.

So if Jan, Feb, Mar, or Apr is selected I want the text to return 'T1', if May, Jun, Jul, Aug is selected I want the text to return 'T2' and so on...

Is there a simple way to do this?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
So if Jan, Feb, Mar, or Apr is selected I want the text to return 'T1', if May, Jun, Jul, Aug is selected I want the text to return 'T2' and so on...
You say quarters in your thread title, but your description states 4 months for each one, not 3, which would be Thirds, not Quarters.
Is that just a typo on your part, or do you really want Thirds?

Upvote 0
You say quarters in your thread title, but your description states 4 months for each one, not 3, which would be Thirds, not Quarters.
Is that just a typo on your part, or do you really want Thirds?

That was a Typo in the thread text. I used the formula from mack and divided by 4 instead of 3.

Upvote 0
Works like a charm, do you mind explaining this? Thank you so much.

First of all, we need to convert your text string ("Jan") into an actual date that Excel will recognise (01/01/18) by sticking "01-" in front of it and preceding this with two minus signs [--("01-"&Date)].
Then we figure out the month number [MONTH(--("01-"&Date))].
Finally, divide by 3 and roundup to the nearest whole number.

Upvote 0
First of all, we need to convert your text string ("Jan") into an actual date that Excel will recognise (01/01/18) by sticking "01-" in front of it and preceding this with two minus signs [--("01-"&Date)].
Then we figure out the month number [MONTH(--("01-"&Date))].
Finally, divide by 3 and roundup to the nearest whole number.

Awesome...

Now I have a follow-up ask :eek:

Based on what 'T' comes up I need one cell to be subtracted from another. I'm trying to use IF/OR, but I keep getting a TRUE/FALSE statement.

For example. If Nov is selected, which will then tell me that this is T4, I would need cell B1 to subtract from C4, however if the month is Jan and that shows "T2", I would need B1 to subtract from C1.

Upvote 0
Awesome...

Now I have a follow-up ask :eek:

Based on what 'T' comes up I need one cell to be subtracted from another. I'm trying to use IF/OR, but I keep getting a TRUE/FALSE statement.

For example. If Nov is selected, which will then tell me that this is T4, I would need cell B1 to subtract from C4, however if the month is Jan and that shows "T2", I would need B1 to subtract from C1.

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROUNDUP(MONTH(--("01-"&Date))/3,0),3))-B1

Upvote 0
=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROUNDUP(MONTH(--("01-"&Date))/3,0),3))-B1

hi njimack, not sure that this is doing, but I apologize for not being clear enough.

If you look at the image below. In Cell E3, if your formula from the first post shows me T1, I need E3 to show C3-B13, if it shows T2, then E3=C3-C13 and if it shows T3, then E3=C3-D13.

Thanks again for your help.

rqz7hlV.png

Upvote 0
I can't see the image (I'm at work) but your previous post referred to completely different cells. See if this is what you want:
=C3-INDIRECT(ADDRESS(13,ROUNDUP(MONTH(--("01-"&Date))/3,0)+1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back