Monthly Budget help

MadDoc

I have a spreadsheet of my regular monthly expenses. In general it is the same list of bills every month, but there are occasional additions and the due dates change on many of them. Along with the name of the expense I also log the date it is due, the amount due, the date I pay it, the amount I pay, how I paid it, and some general info about the credit cards on the list like interest rates and balances, etc so we can track those if they change.

What I'd like to do is to be able to copy this as a separate worksheet within 1 workbook for each month. Then, for each month, be able to input the new due dates and amounts, sort by due date, and have it automatically calculate several different totals and averages for me from the new data. The problem is that the due dates change so I would have to re-write the equations every time an expense moved in sequence in the list. (If you write the formulas then sort the formulas track the same cells, the cell addresses do not adjust with the sort.) I'm trying to find a way to tell it to find a cell by looking at the labels (or to follow a cell that I label) and use that data in the calculation. The problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to get it to follow or lookup the data within the calculation.

Currently I have named each row and column by its label (Insert > Label > Create). Now I'm trying to figure out how to write a formula using 2 names as a coordinate. So far all the examples I've found only use 1 of the names, either the row or the column. I want it to lookup the data in a single cell based on the row and column labels, then sum a series of those. I just haven't figured out how to write the formula yet. Or...it isn't possible in this program. Thanks, in advance.

This message was edited by MadDoc on 2002-10-12 15:34
This message was edited by MadDoc on 2002-10-12 15:34

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Please post some sample data - ie. names of sheets, names of workbooks...the results you would get from the sample data etc... then we can see what we need to write.

Cheers!

:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back