More Complex Amortization Schedule?

jaseaco

I am trying to find a loan amortization schedule that contemplates a changing interest rate as well as changing principal every month. I need this for a real estate loan that is tied to 3-month LIBOR, and also has an increasing loan balance due to leasing costs being funded as they occur.

So the loan starts at $7MM, is on 30-year amortization, and increases as I draw down money for leasing costs. Once it reaches $7.5MM it caps out (no longer increasing) and then I just pay off principal on the loan amount every month.

I have been looking for this for quite awhile now-every time I conduct a search online, all I find are simple amortization schedules.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Maybe I am posting on the wrong forum, but what I really need is to understand how the payment schedule would handle increasing principal? Does it recalc the principal payment every month the principal increases?

Upvote 0
A couple of questions:
  • Are payments being make while the draws are occurring?
  • Or, will payments only begin once the draws are finished?
  • Does the 7.5MM cap include interest incurred during the draw period?
  • Or, is the 7.5MM cap principal only.
Depending on your answers I might recommend two shedules / worksheets:
  1. One tracking the draws and accrued interest during the construction / build-out
  2. The second would be your amortization schedule set-up for a fluctuating interest rate.

Upvote 0
Thanks Jeff-

Yes, payments are made starting day 1 on the $7mm. Once the draws hit $500k, the loan stays at $7.5MM. So I think I have to recalc the payment based on the increasing loan balance over the two years (every time it increases) until $7.5MM, then my payment is just based on that amount with principal being paid based on 30-year amort. All this while showing a monthly changing variable interest rate based on libor. Any idea on how to model this?

Thanks in advance...

Upvote 0
Here's a link to a solution that looks ideal for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjWDp-tw6y0

It's a 14 min clip by ExcelIsFun showing how to create an amortization table with a variable interest rate. The schedule even has a column for lump sum payments (principal reduction) that you could use in reverse (i.e. a negative principal reduction) for your draws.

He provides a link to download the workbook. Here is the download link for Excel Magic Trick 407: Amortization Table W Variable Rate:

http://people.highline.edu/mgirvin/YouTubeExcelIsFun/EMT407-414.xls

Good luck and report back how it turns out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back