more vlookup help please

sasoderl

Board Regular
Ok, I have some code written that uses vlookup. Now, I am having a type conversion problem. To take care of text to numbers, I have:

=VLOOKUP(--A1, data, 2, false)

But I also have text in my "data" and using this VLOOKUP gives the error:

#VALUE!

Now, if I switch back to

=VLOOKUP(A1, ...

I get the #NA error in the cells that need to lookup a number and the correct values in the cells that lookup text.

I have numbers and text sprawled throughout the column A in the workbook. So, I can't run one down so many rows and then run the other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

On second thought ... does this work --

=IF(AND(LEN(A2),ISNUMBER(--A2)),VLOOKUP(--A2, [DATA.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 2, FALSE),IF(LEN(A2),VLOOKUP(A2, [DATA.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 2, FALSE),""))

Change all the data in DATA to a General format. Change the ,2, bit in the formula to ,3, and ,4, for the 2 other formulas.

If you want, the macro could detect your end of data, bypassing the need for an input box.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
On second thought ... does this work --

=IF(AND(LEN(A2),ISNUMBER(--A2)),VLOOKUP(--A2, [DATA.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 2, FALSE),IF(LEN(A2),VLOOKUP(A2, [DATA.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 2, FALSE),""))

Change all the data in DATA to a General format. Change the ,2, bit in the formula to ,3, and ,4, for the 2 other formulas.

If you want, the macro could detect your end of data, bypassing the need for an input box.

Upvote 0
I would love my macro to detect the end of the data and bypass the need for the text box, can you let me know? Also, in my worksheet, I have a row with years. I want to be able to run a query that returns the total of $'s where year = whatever year user wants to see total for. Can you possibly help with that as well?

Upvote 0
Also, I get a runtime error when using this:

ActiveCell.Formula = IF(AND(LEN(B2),ISNUMBER(--B2)),VLOOKUP(--B2, [DATA.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 2, FALSE),IF(LEN(B2),VLOOKUP(B2, [DATA.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 2, FALSE),""))

Upvote 0
OK - For end-of-data. On your Task_Table1 sheet of filr example.xls, column A is the key column - if it has data in it, then we're interested. The below lined will give that to you.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> SubmissionFeeCategoryMacro()

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> LastRow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>
LastRow = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Task_Table1").[A65536].End(xlUp).Row

Range("F2").Select
ActiveCell.Formula = "=IF(AND(LEN(A2),ISNUMBER(--A2)),VLOOKUP(--A2, [data2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 2, FALSE),IF(LEN(A2),VLOOKUP(A2, [data2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 2, FALSE),""""))"

Range("G2").Select
ActiveCell.Formula = "=IF(AND(LEN(A2),ISNUMBER(--A2)),VLOOKUP(--A2, [data2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 3, FALSE),IF(LEN(A2),VLOOKUP(A2, [data2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 3, FALSE),""""))"

Range("H2").Select
ActiveCell.Formula = "=IF(AND(LEN(A2),ISNUMBER(--A2)),VLOOKUP(--A2, [data2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 4, FALSE),IF(LEN(A2),VLOOKUP(A2, [data2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 4, FALSE),""""))"

Range("F2:H2").AutoFill Destination:=Range("F2:H" & LastRow), Type:=xlFillDefault

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
</FONT>

Change data2 refs to DATA

Upvote 0
sasoderl said:
I would love my macro to detect the end of the data and bypass the need for the text box, can you let me know? Also, in my worksheet, I have a row with years. I want to be able to run a query that returns the total of $'s where year = whatever year user wants to see total for. Can you possibly help with that as well?

Where in DATA are the years?

Upvote 0
sasoderl said:
Also, I get a runtime error when using this:

ActiveCell.Formula = IF(AND(LEN(B2),ISNUMBER(--B2)),VLOOKUP(--B2, [DATA.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 2, FALSE),IF(LEN(B2),VLOOKUP(B2, [DATA.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$63, 2, FALSE),""))

That's because I forgot to tell you to double-up those quotes. :oops: See above code.

Upvote 0
Actually, the years are not in data at all. They are in the worksheet. (I have been just sending you the lookup column) However, there is a column of years in my worksheet and a column of $ amounts (which comes from this VLOOKUP macro) Does this help?

Upvote 0
How do you match just the year of interest in the DATA array? If I decide I'm only interested in 2003, how do I tell which rows in DATA are from that year as opposed to other years?

Also, there are a few more fields -- which are lookups, and from which columns in DATA?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back