[MOS] Microsoft Office Specialts Exam 77-420: Excel 2013 Help!!

k_mahajan

Hi everyone,

Today i gave my MOS Exam 77-420 : Excel 2013. i scored 980/1000. overall the exam was easy. i got 100% in all objectives except 90% in 'Applying Formulas & Functions'. I know where i did wrong. But i still can't figure out how to solve that problem because of which i couldn't score a perfect 1000. I hope if anyone here could help me.

I know i did 2 functions wrong: CONCATENATE & RIGHT. Although it was a scenario based exam but still i remember the 2 questions. Here they are:

Code:
[B]1)[/B] [U][B]INSERT THE NAME AND COUNTRY OF THE RUNNER WITH THE FASTEST TIME[/B][/U]

[I]CELL G3[/I]

[LIST]
[*]USE FUNCTION [B]CONCATENATE[/B] 
[*]TEXT1: name of gold medalist in 2012 London 
[*]TEXT2: " - " 
[*]TEXT3: country code of gold medalist in 2012 London 
[/LIST]

[B]2)[/B] [U][B]INSERT FAMILY NAME OF RUNNER WITH SLOWEST TIME.[/B][/U]

[I]CELL G4[/I]

[LIST]
[*]USE FUNCTION [B]RIGHT[/B] 
[*]TEXT: family name of runner with slowest Olympic time 
[*]NUM_CHARS: 5 
[/LIST]

There were 2 worksheets. I was to use these functions in the second worksheet. The data which were required by the functions were on the first worksheet in a table. The table headers were: Number, Year, City, Name, Country code, Time. The data in the table was sorted in descending order of time.

Here's What I Did: I didn't used any look-up or reference function inside these functions. I directly used the Cell Name (eg. B4) for the reference data in the function. When i matched the answer with the Reference images they provided, it was correct, but i think that's not what they asked for...!!

**Note:
Also i forgot to mention one thing. My friend also gave this exam and he also got the same document to create in the exam. He also scored 980/1000. He did the same thing wrong which i did. He also got 90% in 'Applying Formulas & Functions'.
But the thing is he did these 2 questions different from me. By using nested functions. He used LOOK-UP in one question and MATCH & INDEX in the other. His answer also matched the reference images. But still even this was not the correct solution.

I have searched all over and i can't figure out how would this be solved. we both got the same document to create and both got the same score. Both tried different ways to solve these questions. Both got the correct answer as matched with the reference JPEGs. But still both got it Wrong.
Please Help. :confused:

PS: On the second worksheet, where i was asked to use these functions. One thing which was available (i don't know whether it was of some use or not), was the time of the fastest and slowest runner which i was asked to find out using max and min function. And for the times of the runner, i got the data from the First Sheet. As i mentioned earlier, every data was available in the table on the first worksheet.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
it seems like they are asking to simply use concatenate function to put things together. Hard to say without more context.
it doesn't seem like they want you to lookup the table and find the highest value.

Code:
=CONCATENATE(D2," - ",E2)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would say
G3
=lookup(name of gold medalist in 2012 London)&" - "&lookup(country code of gold medalist in 2012 London)
G4
=min(
INSERT FAMILY NAME OF RUNNER WITH SLOWEST TIME)

Upvote 0
it seems like they are asking to simply use concatenate function to put things together. Hard to say without more context.
it doesn't seem like they want you to lookup the table and find the highest value.

Code:
=CONCATENATE(D2," - ",E2)

Thanks for your reply. But i did the same thing. So maybe they want to us to use lookup or we need to set up any criteria somehow.

Upvote 0
I would say
G3
=lookup(name of gold medalist in 2012 London)&" - "&lookup(country code of gold medalist in 2012 London)
G4
=min(
INSERT FAMILY NAME OF RUNNER WITH SLOWEST TIME)

They have specifically mentioned there to use Concatenate in G3 and Right in G4.

Upvote 0
G3 Using & is concatenate

G4 without seeing more info, can't say how right would be used

Upvote 0
There are too many possible way to look this up, that's why I doubt it would be that. There must be some way of referencing they want. Maybe they want you to name those cells or something.

For instance you could do something like this
Code:
=CONCATENATE(INDEX(namerange,MATCH(MAX(timerange),timerange,0))," - ",INDEX(countryrange,MATCH(MAX(timerange),timerange,0)))

Upvote 0
G3 Using & is concatenate

G4 without seeing more info, can't say how right would be used

Thanks for your answer to the first problem. I hope is the correct answer to what they are asking.
And for the second one. As I told earlier in my post, one the first worksheet , in the table under the header 'Names' , the names of the players are given in the format '[first name] [last name]'. And under the header 'country codes', Country codes are given eg 'USA' for america, '***' for japan etc.

Upvote 0
There are too many possible way to look this up, that's why I doubt it would be that. There must be some way of referencing they want. Maybe they want you to name those cells or something.

For instance you could do something like this
Code:
=CONCATENATE(INDEX(namerange,MATCH(MAX(timerange),timerange,0))," - ",INDEX(countryrange,MATCH(MAX(timerange),timerange,0)))

Yes your right, there are many ways to do so. And my friend tried the same thing you mentioned above, and he also got it wrong. The same score as mine.
I am also wondering what might be the correct way of referencing.
What I think is that since this is not an expert level exam the answer to this might be something very simple. Its just that we can't figure it out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back