Most efficient way to extract from Access

Dakker221

Hi Everyone,

Now I know this is probably a well asked question but I'm looking for the most efficient way to extract data from Access. In my scenario I use Access as an input tool in a multi user environment with an Excel report which needs to pull the data in. Does anyone have any ideas of which method I should be using?

Thanks

M

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
As often, it depends.

With the Excel file having to pull the data in (as opposed to if it was pushed from Access), one simple & efficient way might be just a query or two in Excel. Without VBA these can be set to refresh on file open, and/or every n minutes. The idea being that - with no VBA - one can open the Excel file, or if it is open it can refresh the query/queries every n minutes to update tables reflecting the latest data from the Access file, & the Excel worksheets populate as required from these refreshed tables for the reports. Maybe there are charts, pivot tables, pivot charts. Refreshing of pivot tables/charts is just one line of VBA.

Perhaps the reports are printed to pdf for email distribution? Maybe not. Either way, this distribution step might be more efficient with a bit of VBA. Google will find many examples.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TS_711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back