Most likely impossible? teacher needs help.. searching...

Hoffman

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi all,

Been a long time.. I miss you guys. I am a teacher and my situation is that I now have 93 students, so I am using the FIND (binoculars) button a ton to find a student's name on my spreadsheet and enter grades etc. I have 4 classes. alphabetized by class all in one column.

Unfortunately I have AND NEED the student's names to appear multiple times on the page for various data and scores.

When I search it takes me all over to the different names. Ex: Briggs G might appear 5 times on the page.

Is there a way to block the search from finding all the other "Briggs" on the page and look only in 1 list of 93?
Do you have another suggestion?

In short, went I hit search i want it to look in the long list of 93 names and go there (not the other 6 times the kid's names appears on the page)

I also do no think putting something at the top of the 93 names will work well becuae when I search and it brings me down and then I search again for the next student, I would have to go back up.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help..

Barry

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hi,
Some thoughts:

• If you highlight the column it will only search in that column (select the column by clicking just above the first cell on the column header).
  • If you can alphabetize the names you will find you can search quite fast (probably as fasting as using FIND) without using find since you will have an ordered list.
  • Also using "FIND ALL" will give you a list of all the search results and then you can click on the one in the correct column

Upvote 0
Hi Barry, It's unclear how your data is laid out, and what criteria you are using to search by (Aside from student name). Are you able to post a sample workbook for people to see? This would allow others to help you much more accurately.
Dan

Upvote 0
HI,

Thanks for your ideas. Highlighting the column does seem to improve things as the kids names are in different columns. It is a litlte hard to see the highlited cell this way but is better.

I have 4 classes and instead of 1 master list of 93 alphabetized names in column A, It is a to z 4 times.

I have their names in column A, I have them in column W

I have them below as I have more data sorted, etc.

That is why when I search it could hit the kid's name in 1 of like 5 places

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back