Mouse Scroll Overs

HELP PLEASE

Board Regular
I haven't been able to find a way to do this in Excel but thought that if was possible, one of you could help me...

In Excel, is it possible to have scroll overs...like those found on webpages that when you have your mouse pointer over a certain link/picture, pops up a picture or something until you move your pointer off of it. I think I'm stretching it but I see how much all you use Excel and wouldnt doubt that it is possible. Thanks so much as always! :biggrin:

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
If a cell comment is not what you're looking for, then I don't know how to do this in a worksheet. However if your link / picture is on a userform, you may want to check out the MouseMove procedure.

Hope it helps,
Dan

Upvote 0
Hello,
I looked into the MouseOver and it looks helpful for charts. I am not sure it would help though. If possible, I was wondering if when I scroll over a link a picture could appear until I move the mouse off the link. That sounds difficult but I thought it would be neat. Thanks for your help though and teaching me about the MouseOver thing...it is neat. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Might not be what you want, but see if this is any good.
insert a comment in the cell that contains the link
Then:
Format comment
Colors and lines
Click color dropdown and choose fill effects
choose the picture tab
click select picture
click insert
click OK OK

Upvote 0
I would also like to do the mouseover/picture thing, but the Insert Comment procedure you described does not appear to work in Excel 2002, mainly because the only option available upon right-clicking the comment box is "Font". Could it be that I need to install a package of some type that isn't automatically activated?

Any other ideas? This would be terribly useful, and it doesn't seem like it should be something that WOULDN'T be allowed in Excel. Thanks!

Kirk

Upvote 0
Using Active X controls from the control toolbox can do this: just not that well it seems

You can make the buttons transparent, or what have you and maybe have a picture associated with the button. You would need to set the picture visiblility to false then use the commandbutton_mouseover event.

Just to get you started:
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_MouseMove(ByVal Button As Integer, ByVal Shift As Integer, ByVal X As Single, ByVal Y As Single)
Sheet1.Shapes("Picture 2").Visible = Not Sheet1.Shapes("Picture 2").Visible
End Sub

There may be some possiblity of doing this using API, but I don't have a solution for that yet, have to see what I can dig up:

Also try this option:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html

Upvote 0
Well, I figured out my issue. Apparently there's a difference between clicking on the border of the comment box versus the interior. Clicking on the border gives the proper menu options, whereas clicking on the interior gives only the "Font" menu. Just in case anyone else was wondering.

Kirk

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back