Move conditional formatting with rows when sorting data?

SimonJensenAus

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I have been applying some conditional formatting to some data in excel, ie: rows 4 and 9.
But when I then sort the data via highest to lowest value, the conditional formatting stays in row 4 and 9, and does not follow the data to the new row after being sorted.
Is there a way to lock in conditional formatting to follow the data after sorting?

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Is there a way to lock in conditional formatting to follow the data after sorting?
There is no in-built way that I know of. A work-around can often be employed though.

Some more information first please:
Are you saying that only rows 4 and 9 have Conditional Formatting applied and the other rows do not have CF applied?
.. or are you saying that all rows have the CF but only rows 4 and 9 meet the condition(s) and are formatted differently as a result?

What are your CF rules?

The best way to answer those questions would be to post a small section of your sheet (any sensitive data altered) with XL2BB

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

There is no in-built way that I know of. A work-around can often be employed though.

Some more information first please:
Are you saying that only rows 4 and 9 have Conditional Formatting applied and the other rows do not have CF applied?
.. or are you saying that all rows have the CF but only rows 4 and 9 meet the condition(s) and are formatted differently as a result?

What are your CF rules?

The best way to answer those questions would be to post a small section of your sheet (any sensitive data altered) with XL2BB
thank you for the quick reply,
What I am trying to achieve is to set up a conditional format that colors the cells in a row dependent of the value in column A.
What I was testing to do is conditionally color 1 row and see if it would follow the row after sorting.
I have about 3500 rows sorted by name, with different conditions of 1,2,5,10 (GB allowance) . I was trying to color code the values dependent of condition (GB Used)
But all of the names have different GB allowance, so the values can be 1,2,1,10,5,2,10,2, etc,
I was trying to sort all of the GB allowance together (all the 1 together, all the 2 together) and then apply a conditional format to the rows.
And then resort the rows back into the names, I was trying to get the conditional format to follow the rows. and not be absolute, But I don't think it is possible.
Excel gives me the error in the picture. I have tried to set the Maximum value as $A:$A - but it doesn't work either.

Attachments

• move conditinal formatting.png
    move conditinal formatting.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 15
  • conditional formatting.png
    conditional formatting.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0
If you are trying to use a color scales then yes, I think that you are in trouble.
Conditional Formats using a formula can sometimes be arranged with a work-around to follow the sorting but I don't know of a way with color scales. :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back