Move contents of cell up and over one

34sweetness

Board Regular
I have a list of data that is in one column that has 100s of rows.
I need to make 2 columns by moving the contents of one cell up and over one column so that it is to the right of the cell that used to be "above" it.

I need to do this all the way down the first column, but only if the cell contents that needs to move up and right starts with "DOC".

Is there an easy way to do this?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Assuming your list starts in A3, in cell B2, you can use the following formula and copy it down the column:

=IF(LEFT(A3,3)="DOC",A3,"")

That will at least extract the cells you want.

If your definition of "move" is to put them in the second column and delete them from the first, then you'd be looking at some VBA code which someone else would have to help as I'm not that good at it. :)

Upvote 0
You can probably complete the job manually if you want.

With the set-up described by CWatts and that formula applied as suggested, then do these steps (test in a copy of your workbook)

1. Select column B by clicking its heading label

2. Copy the Paste Special (Values only) - post back with your Excel version if you don't know how.

3. Select Column A by clicking its heading label

4. Edit|Replace...|Find what: DOC*|Replace with: leave blank|Replace All|OK|Close

Upvote 0
And another approach If the OP comes back and says "What if DOC is at the end or the middle?"

Sheet1

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; FONT-SIZE: 11pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 30px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 22px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">1</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Data</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Results</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 22px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">2</TD><TD></TD><TD style="COLOR: #ff0000">DOC123</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 22px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">3</TD><TD>DOC123</TD><TD style="COLOR: #ff0000">DOC456</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 22px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">4</TD><TD>DOC456</TD><TD style="COLOR: #ff0000">DOCtest</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 22px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">5</TD><TD>DOCtest</TD><TD style="COLOR: #ff0000"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 22px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">6</TD><TD>ABC123</TD><TD style="COLOR: #ff0000"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 22px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">7</TD><TD>ABCtest</TD><TD style="COLOR: #ff0000">123DOC</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 22px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">8</TD><TD>123DOC</TD><TD style="COLOR: #ff0000"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 22px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">9</TD><TD>test 456</TD><TD style="COLOR: #ff0000">12DOC45</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 22px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">10</TD><TD>12DOC45</TD><TD style="COLOR: #ff0000"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Formula in B2 copied down is =IF(ISERROR(FIND("DOC",A3,1)),"",A3)

Then to do what Peter suggested:

Under Find What: enter *DOC*

Upvote 0
And another approach If the OP comes back and says "What if DOC is at the end or the middle?"

Sheet1

A
B
Data
Results
DOC123
DOC123
DOC456
DOC456
DOCtest
DOCtest
ABC123
ABCtest
123DOC
123DOC
test 456
12DOC45
12DOC45

<tbody>
</tbody>

Formula in B2 copied down is =IF(ISERROR(FIND("DOC",A3,1)),"",A3)

Then to do what Peter suggested:

Under Find What: enter *DOC*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the same situation but instead of the item starting with DOC or containing DOC, I have a phone number with and without parenthesis (###) ###-#### or ###-###-#### so how could I do the same, move over to the right and up one cell?

Upvote 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the same situation but instead of the item starting with DOC or containing DOC, I have a phone number with and without parenthesis (###) ###-#### or ###-###-#### so how could I do the same, move over to the right and up one cell?

Dang this thread is old. I give you credit for using the search functionality. :)

Try this formula. It will strip out (, ), -, and <space> <space>as well as validate that there are 10 digits. It's a bit cumbersome and clunky (and would be better served in a UDF or NamedRange, but give it a shot.
Code:
=IFERROR(IF(AND(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"(",""),")",""),"-","")," ","")*1>=1000000000,SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"(",""),")",""),"-","")," ","")*1<9999999999),SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"(",""),")",""),"-","")," ",""),""),"Error")
</space>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dang this thread is old. I give you credit for using the search functionality. :)

Try this formula. It will strip out (, ), -, and <space> <space>as well as validate that there are 10 digits. It's a bit cumbersome and clunky (and would be better served in a UDF or NamedRange, but give it a shot.
Code:
=IFERROR(IF(AND(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"(",""),")",""),"-","")," ","")*1>=1000000000,SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"(",""),")",""),"-","")," ","")*1<9999999999),SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"(",""),")",""),"-","")," ",""),""),"Error")
</space>
Thanks for taking the time to reply back - I actually took the original formula and just adjusted it a bit as follows: =IF(ISERROR(FIND("",A3,1)),"",A3) - this works just as fine and less cumbersome :) - Cheers!
</space>

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to reply back - I actually took the original formula and just adjusted it a bit as follows: =IF(ISERROR(FIND("",A3,1)),"",A3) - this works just as fine and less cumbersome :) - Cheers!
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

This is also less cumbersome. Does it do what you want?
If not, can you provide some sample data and further explanation about in what circumstances it fails?

=IF(A3="","",A3)

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

This is also less cumbersome. Does it do what you want?
If not, can you provide some sample data and further explanation about in what circumstances it fails?

=IF(A3="","",A3)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're right, that is much easier - thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back