move data between tables

groovybunny

I have two tables

Table one has 20 columns for containing numbers
1st column is the required total
2nd column is the actual total
3rd column is required, 4th is actual etc..

2nd table is for individual client data
I need to find a way for the data entered in the form at the front of this table to automatically update table 1's actual total fields

Is this possible or am I missing something really obvious in the design?

Please help! :cry:

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
When you have these 20 columns that look like they are going to be something of a repeating nature. Looks like column 1 is required total, column 2 is actual, column 3 is required (again), column 4 is actual (again), 5 is required, 6 is actual, etc. Looks like 10 pairs of required and actual. Normally, this should be normalized. Please follow the link in my signature label Access Design Tips. The first acticle in the list on that web page is about Normalization. Read, study, and learn Normalization. The time spent doing this will more than be paid back within the next few months to one year in saved time of trying to get something to work that is convoluted. If your database is normalized, it will not be convoluted.

Plus, it would really help if you could define your situation with a little more detail. What do you mean by a "form in the front of this table"? More than likely an update query would be used, but it is not good to keep totals in a database, because they should generally always be recalculated when needed. SAVES A GREAT DEAL OF HEADACHES LATER IN YOUR LIFE. (like next month even)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back