Move from Excel 2010 to Excel 2013 - Lack of Memory Error

mcspamj

Hello,

I have a number of Excel VBA Macro enabled spreadsheets created some time ago using Excel 2003, which were further developed using Excel 2010 and which I have been running operate on reasonably large amounts of data (3 excel sheets one of which contains more than 15,000 rows of data with columns data out to AD). Up until I changed my computer a few weeks ago, these macros were taking 4 or 5 hours to run.

Recently, I received a brand new laptop, a Dell Precision M6800 with 16 GB of RAM and a 64 bit operating system and also upgraded from Excel 2010 to Excel 2013 (NOTE :- It also contains a graphics card, which I don't really need).

Naturally, I expected the Excel VBA macros to run much faster with the new more powerful technology and more up to date version of Excel.

Instead the opposite has happened, Excel 2013 is very slow in general and crashes when I run the macors on any more than about 5,000 rows of data.

The messages I am getting are "Unexpected error; quitting", "Out of memory" and/or "There isn't enough memory to complete this action. Try using less data or closing other applications. to increase memory availability consider : Using a 64-bit version of Excel. Adding memory to your device."

I also download a lot of data from SAP and even, though I have got the most up to date 7.4 GUI, I have a lot of problems using the Excel button to pull data straight into Excel....it also chops the data at 65,533 roes (i.e. nearly the same as the previous Excel 2003 max. no of rows per sheet).

Does anyone know if there are some settings I need to change within the Excel Options section to address these issues or anything else I can do to make my old Excel 2010 macros work with my new hardware and software ?

Best Regards,
mcspamj

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
I'm not aware of any Excel options you can change to overcome your problem either, however, macros shouldn't take 4-5 hours to run, regardless of Excel version. It may be that your code needs optimising.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with SAP to give suggestion as to why the number of rows is 65,533 - that could be an issue with SAP in their output if it's an old reporting feature that is limited to Excel 2003 output.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back