Move many columns of data into three columns

jwrightsd

Hello, I have received data for 24 periods with over 50 columns of data. I want to move the data under three columns so I have repeating 24 months in one column, Fruit Type for each of the 24 months in another column and then the amount in the final column (see attachment). Rather than copy and paste these one by one, I was wondering if there was some formula I could use to do this for me. Thanks so much!!!

Attachments

• 2023-01-15_11-53-37.jpg
    2023-01-15_11-53-37.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
Use Power Query to Unpivot your data.

Thank you. This video is showing exactly what I need to do. I have never used power query nor sure how I can get power query. I am using Excel 365. Do you know how I can get power query to try this?

Upvote 0
Since you are using O365, Power Query is part of native Excel. In your version, it is referred to as Get and Transform Data.

Power Query is a free AddIn for Excel 2010 and 2013, and is built-in functionality from Excel 2016 onwards (where it is referred to as "Get & Transform Data").

It is a powerful yet simple way of getting, changing and using data from a broad variety of sources, creating steps which may be easily repeated and refreshed. I strongly recommend learning how to use Power Query - it's among the most powerful functionalities of Excel.

- Follow this link to learn how to install Power Query in Excel 2010 / 2013.

- Follow this link for an introduction to Power Query functionality.

- Follow this link for a video which demonstrates how to use Power Query code provided.

Upvote 0
@jwrightsd
Two things:
  1. When using "Mark as solution" please mark the post that actually contains the solution to help future readers. You had marked post #7 which clearly isn't the solution so I have moved the mark to post #2

2. You have been asked twice already in this thread, but could you please add your Excel version in your account details?
    If you ask further questions in the future it will assist helpers to provide a solution best suited to your particular version & may save them wasting time suggesting something that is not appropriate for you. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back