Move to a specific column based on the data entry in another column

justmeok

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Excel Gurus,
I'm looking for a solution to the above. I don't mind if it's a formula based solution or VBA (this is the solution I think is most likely). What we want to do is go to a specific column based on the data entered in the Payee Column as per the image below. So if Payee entered is Power Company on pressing enter (or TAB) the cursor would go directly to column headed Utilities on the same row, or if Payee is Supermarket then the cursor would move to the column called Groceries. There will also be some sundry Payees and so if the Payee is not in the specified list then the cursor will go to the column headed other. Currently using Office 365 on windows based pc. Thanks everyone :giggle:

Specific Column.JPG

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
In order to do what you want, we would need a list of Payees with their corresponding column header. Perhaps the easiest way to do this would be to have another sheet with the Payees in column A and the corresponding header in column B. Would this work for you?

Upvote 0
Hello mumps :)
Yes I think that could work for us! I will gather a complete list of payees and how would I send that to you? I am assuming in the final solution we would be able to add any new payees to the list?
Thanks for your offer to help, it's really appreciated.

Upvote 0
You could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your two sheets. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here.

Upvote 0
Hello mumps :)
Yes I think that could work for us! I will gather a complete list of payees and how would I send that to you? I am assuming in the final solution we would be able to add any new payees to the list?
Thanks for your offer to help, it's really appreciated.
Hi mumps,

Just wanted to come back and let you know that we have changed the process entirely and no longer need a solution to this post. Many thanks to you though for your offer of help, very much appreciated :)

Upvote 0
My pleasure. :) Glad it worked out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back