Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2013
  3. 2011
  4. 2010
  5. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a rows of data which contain variable numbers of columns, some with values some without.

What i need to do is take the average of the best 5 from the last six non zero values, providing there are more than 5 columns, if there are only 5 then just the average.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
If your information (numbers) begin in cell C2 and extend to column I this formula placed in Cell J2 should meet your needs. other wise I didn't understand your question.

J2:
=SUM(LARGE(C2:I2,{1,2,3,4,5}))/5
it will pick the best 5 and average them

Upvote 0
big_mac,

I don't think your solution addresses the need to take the largest 5 from the last 6 non-zero values.

Upvote 0
Seti,
I do see the error of my calculation.
I am averaging the LARGEST 5
but not of the last 6 non-zero values.
if there are 11 columns displayed as 100,100,100,100,100,50,50,50,50,50,50
the average of the last 6 non-zero should be 50 not 100

eliW,
Forgive my evaluation of LARGE as best, but I normally think Large is best. Please forgive my error in word choice. I have not seen the original poster reply to either of our attempts at a possible solution yet.

Upvote 0
Try:

Code:
M2 =SUM(LARGE(INDIRECT("R"&ROW()&"C"&LARGE(((A2:L2>0)*COLUMN(A2:L2)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNTIF(A2:L2,">0"),6)))),0),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNTIF(A2:L2,">0"),5)))))/MIN(COUNTIF(A2:L2,">0"),5)

Where A:L is your (largest) range of number inputs.

M2 is an array formula and must be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER instead of just ENTER (doing so correctly will result in Excel putting { }'s around your formula in the formula bar).

Then, copy M2 and paste down through the end of your range.

Upvote 0
for my purposes I require to look at the last 6 non zero values and select the highest 5

so i could have something like (SUM(A1:F1)-MIN(A1:F1))/5 in simple terms if this was fixed range, now if there were 8 values I would require something like (SUM(D1:I1)-MIN(D1:I1))/5 disregarding A1:C1

so the formula needs to be dynamic and if possible take into account zero values so for instance if in the above F1 was zero the starting cell would be C1

Upvote 0
cheers oaktree

thats seems to solve the problem, i was getting all messed up with CELL and OFFSET along with INDIRECT and the like and almost getting there but not quite

Upvote 0
To average the 5 largest numbers out of the last 6 non-zero numbers, try the following formula which needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER...

=AVERAGE(LARGE(IF(COLUMN(A1:I1)>=LARGE(IF(A1:I1>0,COLUMN(A1:I1)),6),IF(A1:I1>0,A1:I1)),{1,2,3,4,5}))

Adjust the range accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
=AVERAGE(LARGE(IF(COLUMN(A1:I1)>=LARGE(IF(A1:I1>0,COLUMN(A1:I1)),6),IF(A1:I1>0,A1:I1)),{1,2,3,4,5}))

Hi, Domenic. I think this fails (#NUM! error) if there are fewer than 6 non-zero numbers. The "providing there are more than 5 columns, if there are only 5 then just the average" part of the OP's request led me to the beast I posted above in event there were rows where there were fewer than 6 (but >=1) cases...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back