Moving Files Between Drives

pompita

Greetings,

This is my first post. Hopefully you all can help me out.

I have created a series of 70+ files in a directory on my external flash drive. It might be easier to follow along with examples, so an example of where these files are located on my flash drive is as follows:

E:\Client Files\Models\...

The above directory contains all 70+ files.

Each of these files contains direct links to 5 other files. Each of these files are also found on the flash drive under E:\Client Files.

I am now trying to move all the files together onto a network drive. I am accomplishing this by moving the entire "Client Files" folder from my flash drive onto the network. The network drive is G:. The folder I am trying to move the "Client Files" folder into is G:\Tax\Balance Sheets\... Therefore, the final root structure on the G: drive would be G:\Tax\Balance Sheets\Client Files\Models\...

The problem I am encountering is that, when I move the folder, my links in each of the 70+ files become corrupt. I would expect that a link on my flash drive to E:\Client Files\File1.xls would automatically update to G:\Tax\Balance Sheets\Client Files\File1.xls once I move the Client Files folder (especially since I am moving all the files at once).

Instead, the link now reads G:\Client Files\File1.xls. The only update to the link is that the root directory changed, but not the folder structure.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to correct this. I do not want to go back to each of the 70+ files and update links in each one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Welcome to this EXCELlent board....

One way to get the links correct : open all the files, including the 5 extra files. Save the 5 files in the folder G:\Tax\Balance Sheets\Client Files

But there is probably another easier way...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back