Mr Excel logs me out so soon!

Gene Smolko

When I try to post a comment, Mr Excel logs me out before I even have a chance to finish it! When I finish my post and try to submit it, I'm always already logged out and have to log back in again. Annoying! Anyone else have this problem?

This was a short post, let's see if it happens with this one.

UPDATE: OK, obviously I was quick enough with this short post so I guess Mr Excel has a pretty quick time out.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
not seen anything like that recently, are you wifi'd

Hi

…….

UPDATE: OK, obviously I was quick enough with this short post so I guess Mr Excel has a pretty quick time out.
…….

. I think you are right…( and you get logged out sometimes after replying..)..

not seen anything like that recently,…

.. ..Actually this theme has come up a few times before. I think it is a particular characteristic of Mr Excel, For example:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/815954-session-timeout-forum.html
. There are also aspects on how you log-in etc.. see starting from around posts # 14
Here:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/830361-board-wish-list-2.html
. I think you have to accept that a free forum must be financed somehow. All have different ”tricks” to get their popularity up, to help get sponsors etc. – Some only let you see codes by logging in , for example.
. Possibly Mr excel gets their “using” or “in use” quota up as you continually have to log-in.
. (Unofficially I think they also tolerate people logging in as a new member each time with a new made up E-mail and made up name, to get the members quota up.. – Even though officially it is strictly not allowed!!!! )
. -This is a great forum, and so we should not criticize how they make it possible, financially to function…
.. Or less skeptical. Maybe MrExcel tries to have the characteristic of being a faster, more short “trouble shooting” “quick answer” type Forum. All have their characteristics.

. I find it particularly frustrating. I am a bit slow and can only answer the longer, but not technically challenging Threads which the Pros often find to tedious to answer…
. Hence I try to prepare my thread in WORD and then paste it in in one go. But that Takes some practice to get Formats correct..and there are Browser issues.. I can finally get all nice colors etc. to come across. Most people can’t ( and / or don’t want to!!!!!…. )
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/814925-paste-word-issue-2.html

Alan

I don't get logged out (except when the site goes down or occasionally windows updates), must be a setting somewhere (remember me)

Hi
I don't get logged out (except when the site goes down or occasionally windows updates), must be a setting somewhere (remember me)

. It is a difficult / uncertain one. I do find also that on some computers I stay logged in, or longer, or get logged in automatically etc, etc, .
. It seems to be dependent on many factors, including checking the remember me box, which I agree is sometimes the solution.
. But on average the time out does seem to be shorter here generally than on other Boards.
. I think that is the average experience I have heard..
. But further input from others here could help clear that up??
. I am still relatively inexperienced here and have even less experience elsewhere
Alan

P.s.
. I have noticed that some Mods who are very active never appear to be logged in, despite clearly being there / here and actively replying.. so there could be a “privileges” issue or some “secret “ setting !! – just to add another term to the equation!!

Last edited:
... and guess what - I just got timed out with the "EDIT 10 minute time out" - One thing that is definitely shorter here then elsewhere. -
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/857772-silly-question.html

.....I wanted to correct my "not appear to be logged" in with " not appear to be logged in ( or at least not shown in the “What's Going On?" bit as a "Currently Active User" at the bottom of the "MrExcel Message Board" page.)..!!

there is
Invisible mode allows you to browse the forums without appearing in the 'Currently Active Users' lists.

and edit only allows you to correct for 10 mins before the answer is set in stone

there is also a time limit before you can add avatars and stuff which was discussed recently

there is
Invisible mode allows you to browse the forums without appearing in the 'Currently Active Users' lists......

. But can you then reply and Post, that was the point I was wondering about?

. What does Invisible mode mean. Sorry I am not to up on Computer / browser issues etc.
Alan

P.s. . The point on the 10 min edit is clear.

. But can you then reply and Post, that was the point I was wondering about?
. What does Invisible mode mean. Sorry I am not to up on Computer / browser issues etc.
Alan

. I just put my Google Chrome into incognito mode.

. To reply here I had to log in...

. And I appear in the 'Currently Active Users' lists.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back