Mr Excel search engine

njimack

While I've nothing but praise for this message board, I'm often left tearing my hair out thanks to the search engine it uses.

My frustration stems from the following:

- I can't search for an exact phrase. If I type several words into the search box, the returned results will contain one or more of those words, possibly in the phrase I was looking for, but probably not.

- Threads returned via a search are sorted not by relevance, but by date

- Many message boards include an advanced search, which allows exclusion of certain words, or the ability to only search for posts which have been answered. No such luck here.

- Despite being told that several thousand matches were found, after clicking to page 2, I see the immortal words "No topics or posts met your search criteria"

- If the search has returned more than 6 pages of results, navigation is cumbersome to say the least. I can go straight to one of the first 3 or last 3 pages, but if I want page 15, for example, I need to keep clicking 'Next' until I reach that page.

All of the above mean I often spend hours trawling through posts in the hope that the next one I click on will be 'the one' that helps me solve my problem.

Am I the only person who, despite knowing that the answer I'm looking for has probably been posted here, only searches Mr Excel when all other avenues have been exhausted?

In short: We know about all of the above. We unfortunately can't fix it :confused:

One alternative is to search the site using Google.

Thanks, I'll use that in future.

Maybe there could be a sticky attached to the message board? I never realised google search could be site-specific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back