MrExcel.com visitors by Country

I am mildly surprised that London has twice as many hits as New York - in my own little mind I would have thought they would have been broadly comparable. So it is a good question as to how Google determines domicile.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
I don't trust the city stuff - my isp gets their internet from someone else.. and *that* is shown as my provider when I trace my ip address. The 2nd party provider is NOT a local town... so I would be lumped to that town, tho it really isn't mine.

would search bots trigger the google ads???

I only found this due to archived web pages which Tracy had pointed me to in a post a few months back.

Last edited:
Belgium only 10th :unsure:
O, yes, I did post less in the past months :biggrin:

Seriously, what is the real meaning of all this? Even if those stats are correct, it's only a gadget, not? At least it is for common people: perhaps the business guys have an advantage of knowing this?

To me the biggest surprise is India being #5, behind Canada and Australia.

Surprising, based on population:

Population of Canada ~33.2 million
Population of Australia ~20.5 million
Population of India ~1.13 billion, which means India's population count dwarfs the combined population of Canada plus Australia.

While India has its share of classes without computers, it is also among the world's leading countries for focusing technology on its working population.

Surprising, based on internet connectivity for India's population, estimated at ~double that of Canada and Australia:

Canada 22,000,000 (source http://www.internetworldstats.com/am/ca.htm)
Australia 19,000,000 (source http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm)
India 42,000,000 (source http://www.internetworldstats.com/asia/in.htm)

So, curious India still ranks behind Canada and Australia given numbers that suggest it might be under represented in the Google survey.

Last edited:
or.. people from India don't frequent the site often?
Or get done more in a single session?

hm - according to Admin stuff, we have 315 users who say they are located in India. And just looking at the 1st 50, not many have logged in this year.

ok - narrower search - since January 1, 2008, we had 66 members who say they are located in India log into the board; 23 in July.

so.. maybe it is representative? Of course, Bills stats are for all visitors - I'm only looking at registered members.

Hey Tracy - -

Those membership numbers you cited were interesting, and even though there's commonly a heavier count of non-members on the site than members (as I type this for example, there are 77 people on the site, 20 of whom are registered and 57 of whom are not), I'd assume they track with the overall by-country ratio.

The India placement at #5 could be the case I guess, but it's darn curious that 20 million more internet users, as many as Canada and Australia each have, are not making up the small difference between them. Oh well.

One thing's for sure, this site has helped a whole globe's worth of people over the years, it's definitely helped me, and you guys do a great job with the site.

# 1 London 247K visits

I reckon I make up half of them...

In all seriousness I reckon that 'London' might stand for 'England.' I doubt many people north of the Watford Gap would appreciate that, though...

Starl...great point about the ISP, but what is really strange is that they recognize about 80 visits from three different towns named Rutland. I have no idea is this is your Rutland or not. (MapPoint says there are Rutland in VT, GA, FL, IL, IN, IA, KY, MA, ND, OH, SD, WI, TX. 3 of them must have a local ISP offering service...)

Tom - excellent population statistics. Here is one strange side fact about India... India is the leading source of people who continuously write directly to my e-mail for Excel help. Generally, I can suggest to someone that they will get faster help by posting to the board, but the folks continue to write to me. I don't know if high-speed internet has not made it beyond the major population centers and so it is easier to send an e-mail rather than browse.

Schielrn - good memory on the map. I'll see if I can get more people to add themselves to the map. Maybe a banner or announcement in the weekly free chapter e-mail.

Bryony - keep up the good work. I can use those stats to justify more seminars in the U.K.!

Erik - Yes - only a gadget. Just passing it on for interest. Actually, the folks at the new WidGenie.com asked me to review their free online charting tool. I am talking about it on this Friday's podcast, so I was trying to find some data to chart that would be mildly interesting to the MrExcel community. When I looked at the data, it just didn't feel right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back