MS Access Query Mysteriously Pulling All Fields

CPGDeveloper

Board Regular
Hi All ~

A colleague of mine is having trouble with her MS Access -- when she tries to write a new query, even a very simple one, it will include all fields in the table, even if she is only including one or two fields. This is not happening on anyone else's MS Access.

Before we put in a request to re-install her MS Access, I just wanted to check if there is some strange setting that I am unaware of.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Without seeing her do it, it is hard to say. I have never heard of anything like that happening. FWIW.
I would want to double-check to make sure that she is not hitting on the "*", to add all fields to the query.

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe -- when she first mentioned it, I thought that's what must have been happening, but when I looked that wasn't the case, and when I tried creating several new queries by myself the same thing was happening -- no matter which table or combination of fields I was using. Very strange. I think we will have to re-install.

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe -- when she first mentioned it, I thought that's what must have been happening, but when I looked that wasn't the case, and when I tried creating several new queries by myself the same thing was happening -- no matter which table or combination of fields I was using. Very strange. I think we will have to re-install.
Yes, that definitely sounds like some sort of bug, especially if you were able to confirm it yourself.

Upvote 0
Check her Options>Query Design>Output All Fields setting...
Interesting. I never knew that existed before!

Note that I had to dig a little deeper to find it in my version of Microsoft Access:
Options > Object Designers > Query design > Output all fields

Upvote 0
Solution
@Joe4, yes I missed a level. Hopefully that is the issue as it would negate the need for a reinstall that might fix nothing.
Interesting that out of all the forums I've ever belonged to, this is the only one that I can recall that doesn't let you edit a post after 5 minutes or so. I would change my post if I could lest anyone read it and jump into looking for the option as I presented it but it's too late already.

Upvote 0
Hopefully that is the issue as it would negate the need for a reinstall that might fix nothing.
Yes, hopefully that is all that it was.
Kind of an odd option setting, if you ask me. Over 20 years of using Access, I never heard of anyone using it.

Interesting that out of all the forums I've ever belonged to, this is the only one that I can recall that doesn't let you edit a post after 5 minutes or so
There is a 10 minute edit window for regular members (I just confirmed that with the admins to make sure nothing changed after the conversion to the new board software).

Upvote 0
I have never used it either, but oddly enough, I remembered it was there when I saw these posts. I cannot even imagine how you build a query with that option on, especially since you can drag the * from any table in the query design view.

Upvote 0
Micron, Joe -- Thank You, that was the issue. So crazy. I've been working in MS Access for over 20 years and never knew that existed. What a bizarre option to have.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back