MS Access Query Mysteriously Pulling All Fields

CPGDeveloper

Board Regular
Hi All ~

A colleague of mine is having trouble with her MS Access -- when she tries to write a new query, even a very simple one, it will include all fields in the table, even if she is only including one or two fields. This is not happening on anyone else's MS Access.

Before we put in a request to re-install her MS Access, I just wanted to check if there is some strange setting that I am unaware of.

you're welcome! So glad that I was able to save you from doing a re-install that just might have saved that property setting. I recently switched from 64 to 32 bit Office and noticed some Access settings were still there afterwards. You might have gone through that process only to find that option was saved too!

While composing this I thought I'd search to see if I could find a logical reason for the property. I didn't find one, but wow, I did find that it is in the query property sheet too! Supposedly the reason is that it's simpler than checking the box for a whole lot of fields, which I still don't see the point of. If you drop each table field onto the grid, it gets checked anyway. If you drop on the asterisk* you get all the fields (mind you, you cannot add criteria by doing only that).

So here we have a feature that probably only 10% of users know about, yet we can't get serious things fixed after years of asking.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I had never heard of this either - funny one. Certainly a quirk of the query designer. I thought you could always get all fields onto the grid by with some kind of multi-select as well, and just drag them all on ... and I just realized my new job didn't put Access on my machine :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back