MS Excel/O365 - Count comma-separated numbers in range

elmerg

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone. Need some help with an Excel counting function; I figured it would be simple, but apparently it's not.

I need a total count of the numeric values in a column; some of the cells will have comma-separated entries, some will have single numerical entries, and some will have words.

For an example of data:
-
No data
85, 93
85, 86
No data
No data
92, 0

I need to count ONLY the numbers, including any zeroes, leaving out anything that is non-numeric. Some numbers may be repeated within the same cells. I also cannot separate out the numbers due to data organization needs.

So if I was counting the above example, my count output would be 9.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

If you have the new LET function try
Excel Formula:
=LET(xml,FILTERXML("<o><m>"&TEXTJOIN("</m><m>",,SUBSTITUTE(A14:A23,",","</m><m>"))&"</m></o>","//m"),COUNT(FILTER(xml,xml=0)))

I tested your formula and the result is 1
Ditto for the formula in post no 7

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
If you want numerics to include 0 just change filter to >=0 as below at end of Fluff's formula

Excel Formula:
=LET(xml,FILTERXML("<o><m>"&TEXTJOIN("</m><m>",,SUBSTITUTE(A1:A9,",","</m><m>"))&"</m></o>","//m"),COUNT(FILTER(xml,xml>=0)))

Upvote 0
Or just use the formula in post#2 which is what was originally requested. ;)

Upvote 0
Amazing. thank you so much.
:confused:The formula Fluff posted in Message #6 works for you??? You said in Message #5 that you did not have the LET function available to you in the version of Excel you would need to use the formula in. If you don't have the LET function, I would think that you do not have the FILTER function either (which Fluff's code uses). Anyway, here are a couple of alternate formulas that you can consider. Note that these formulas assume that the cells with commas do not have any text in them, only numbers.

For original question (0 considered a number)...
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(-LEFT(A2:A10))*(LEN(A2:A10)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2:A10,",",""))+1))

For revised question (0 is not to be counted)...
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(-LEFT(A2:A10))*(LEN(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2:A10,","," ")&" "," 0 "," ")))-LEN(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2:A10,","," ")&" "," 0 "," ")," ","")))+1))

Upvote 0
If you don't have the LET function, I would think that you do not have the FILTER function either
FILTER has always been available in 365 whereas LET has not. Given those posts were made a year and a half ago I suspect it was when the OP had 365, & therefore FILTER, but before they received LET.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back