MS Query into Excel not working...

lord of the badgers

Board Regular
Used to work until last week - i can run MS Query on it's own & save a .dqy file.
If i try to run it via Excel as per normal, it just sits there saying it's waiting for MS Query.

Any thoughts..? it's a business copy of Excel so i have a call raised on it with our IT dept, but that'll probably take a while as it's an odd one.

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
So you can actually get the data returned within MSQuery? You can see it displayed in tabular format? Can you then return this data to Excel, or is this where it 'sticks'?

Or is it just a case of not bringing new data into the spreadsheet when you click "Refresh Data" in the data region of the spreadsheet?

Richard

Upvote 0
hallo Richard

well i can see it all ok in MSQuery.exe, and refreshing works on an already embedded query, but if i try to start the new/edit data query wizard in Excel it just says "waiting for ms query", and does nothing, and starts to "not respond" - it didn't come out of that loop all weekend (cause i had to leave work early & nobody logged me out!)

it's so odd, cause it was fine until that moment on friday

Upvote 0
Has anything changed about your set up? Eg IT installed any new software etc. If the refresh data option still works as normal, it does sound as if it is just a problem with the MSQuery interface (the actual call to the database doesn't use MSQuery I believe). Perhaps reinstalling Excel (make sure it's a full install as MSQuery is a standalone program that isn't necessarily installed by default) or possibly going into Excel and Help>Detect and Repair in the spreadsheet? Not sure if this is an option in Excel2k though.

Richard

Upvote 0
it is possible of course that our config has been changed, i had a hard drive replaced & looks like MSQuery isn't std build anymore, but that change was some days prior & i'm 100% sure I used MSQuery via Excel since that time

the support ticket is still out - but it's a slow process

Upvote 0
I'm having similar problem. Running Windows 7, Office 2010. Been running MS Query via Excel for 4 years and it has never been as hard to open and work with as the last month or two(since we upgraded to Office 2010).

Today, opened Excel to work on some data, but can't get Query to open, it just sits there, 30 minutes so far, "Waiting for data to be returned from Microsoft Query". Note: This is a fresh Excel file with no attached query. I've already rebooted my box once. Perhaps need to do it again???

Been searching the web for an answer. I assume this has to do with Office 2010. Considering asking our IT group to put that back on my box.

Thx in advance for any help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back