"MSACCESS.EXE" process issue - How to terminate this process correctly

xlguy

Hello and Happy New Year!

Hoping someone can help me resolve this weird issue, that I've been having since last year ;)

So, what happens is that with the code provided below, if I allow the "Access.Quit" statement to be executed i.e. not commented out, then the process "MSACCESS.EXE" is terminated, however, upon every consecutive run/execution of the code, I do receive the error "Run-time error '462': The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable"...against the statement "Set ws = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)".

Now, on the other hand, if I comment out the same statement (and not allow it to execute) then I can run the code multiple times without receiving the above-mentioned error message, however, the process "MSACCESS.EXE" remains running, and if I try to open the database via Windows Explorer, it/Access does not open up. I do see a file with the extension ".laccdb" created in the same folder as the ".accdb" database file, but unless and until I manually (using Task Manager) kill the process "MSACCESS.EXE", I cannot launch Access.

So the question is, is there something different I need to do in order to both avoid receiving the error 462 whilst running the code multiple times sequentially, as well as to be able to open Access without having to manually kill the "MSACCESS.EXE" process?

Thanks.

Code:
Sub copyCMdataToAccessDB()
    Application.StatusBar = "Now exporting 'Current Data' to Access database..."    Dim ws As DAO.Workspace
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim sDb As String
    Dim sSQL As String
    Dim qdf As QueryDef
    sDb = "[URL="file://\\CATOU-OGFSPUWSX\rosec$\G\EIRS_Demo\WFP-TESTING.accdb"]\\CATOU-OGFSPUWSX\rosec$\G\EIRS_Demo\WFP-TESTING.accdb[/URL]"
    Set ws = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
    Set db = ws.OpenDatabase(sDb)
    ' A stored query would be better
    sSQL = "Parameters p1 Text, p2 Datetime; " _
        & "INSERT INTO Table1 (AText,ADate) Values ([p1],[p2])"

Set qdf = db.CreateQueryDef("", sSQL)
    qdf.Parameters!p1 = "ABC"
    qdf.Parameters!p2 = #1/17/2013#
    qdf.Execute dbFailOnError
    Debug.Print qdf.RecordsAffected

db.Close
    ws.Close
    Set db = Nothing
    Set ws = Nothing

' ---REM--- Access.Quit

Application.StatusBar = ""
End Sub

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
The MSACCESS. EXE shouldn't be in Task Manager at all. Moreover, I didn't see your "Access" variable declaration.
Here's my test procedure:
Code:
Sub F()

Dim eng As DAO.DBEngine 'Microsoft Office 14.0 Access database engine Object library
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim q As DAO.QueryDef

Set eng = New DAO.DBEngine

Set db = eng.OpenDatabase("c:\MyDb.accdb")
    Set q = db.CreateQueryDef("", "PARAMETERS p1 INT; INSERT INTO Table VALUES (p1)")
    q.Parameters!p1 = "777"
    q.Execute dbFailOnError

MsgBox q.RecordsAffected 'Shows "1"

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks Sketor...for suggesting a slightly different method/code...however I am receiving the following error, at the statement "Set db = eng.OpenDatabase...":

Run-time error '3343': Unrecognized database format 'path\DBname.accdb'

Any ideas why, or how I can resolve this error to see if I can proceed further along?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I had same issue. The problem was that database was created in Access 2010 and was opened in Access 2007. I don't know what exactly was the problem, but I had to recreate database in Access 2007 in order for code to work. The thing is there are lots of thing which were deprecated and added in Access 2010.

Upvote 0
In the hopes of potentially helping someone else (who might be experiencing this same issue), the following code is what helped me resolve (both) my issues i.e.:

1) not being able to execute the code multiple times in succession without receiving the "Run-time error '462': The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable" error, and

2) being able to run the code multiple times but not being able to launch Access (or the database) from Windows Explorer without first killing the "MSACCESS.EXE" process using Task Manager:

Code:
Sub copyCMdataToAccessDB()
    Application.StatusBar = "Now exporting 'Current Data' to Access database..."

Dim oAccess As Access.Application
    Dim oDB As DAO.Database

Dim q As DAO.QueryDef
    Dim sSQL As String

Set oAccess = New Access.Application
    oAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase "c:\Temp\MyDb.accdb"

Set oDB = oAccess.CurrentDb

' A stored query is best
    sSQL = "Parameters p1 Text, p2 Datetime; " _
        & "INSERT INTO Table1 (AText,ADate) Values ([p1],[p2])"

Set q = oDB.CreateQueryDef("", sSQL)

q.Parameters!p1 = "Testing"
    q.Parameters!p2 = #1/17/2013#
    q.Execute dbFailOnError

'--- MsgBox q.RecordsAffected 'Shows "1"
    Application.StatusBar = ""
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't understand why do you use Access application again after I gave you right solution?

Upvote 0
In your original code were you running this from inside Access?

Your line of code (commented out) just says Access.Quit. It doesn't use any references or objects set in the procedure. I guess it would just quit whatever Access it happens to find (probably the one running the code), but that isn't likely what you wanted. You only needed to close the workspace you opened (which I think was your final solution, actually).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back