Multi-User Excel Solution

pdevito3

Board Regular
Hey Everyone,

So I've had a couple projects now where a great Excel tool is made and is kept in a shared folder that multiple users can access, even at once if they want, but only one person can actually edit the book at a time. Does anyone know of a solution to get around this?

I've thought of google docs, but this might not be secure enough in many cases. I believe that Office 365 has some kind of a web capability, but I'm sure that this would work for older versions of excel. Are there any other options, web based or otherwise that anyone has been able to leverage?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
HI pdevito3
The simple answer if no, however you could just use MSACCESS instead, but I did manage to do this, in a way, by creating my excel sheet, then making 5 copies, i.e. excel excel1 excel2 ect, then I wrote macro to update a master sheet in another folder from the 5 excel sheets, which ran every 20 minutes. Then I put code into the sheet to close if it was read only & then told the users, if the sheet won't open try the next one in the list. Hope that helps
Here some information on how to tell in the sheet is read only using vba, from some far smarter guys than me

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...asic-applications-check-if-workbook-open.html

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back