Multi-Workbook .Find

HCGaudior

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am working on consolidating and interpreting financial data that occurs quarterly. Each quarter, we are provided a spreadsheet with thousands of rows of data spread over dozens of sheets which I need to consolidate together to make projections. I have made a separate spreadsheet called 'Consolidator.xlsm' that filters out the junk data. For this case, I am examining what projects employees spent time on so that I can determine if actuals are matching the budget. I have most of the code working, but I get a Run-time error '91': Object variable or With block variable not set any time I try to reference the variable. If I comment out the MsgBox, the code runs without error. Here is the section of code that is giving me issues:

VBA Code:
Dim wsExist As Boolean                      'Variable to store if the worksheet exists in the actuals workbook t/f
Dim wbQ1Actuals As Workbook                 'Variable to store workbook with quarter 1 actuals
Dim searchRange As Range                    'Variable to store the range to search for budget data
Dim firstDataCell As Range                  'Variable to store first data cell
Dim lastDataCell As Range                   'Variable to store the last data cell
Dim Budget As Integer                       'Variable to store the current task budget number
Dim notIn414 As String                      'Variable to store employees the VB could not find in 414
Dim firstName As String                     'Variable to store employee's first name
Dim lastName As String                      'Variable to store employee's last name

Set wbQ1Actuals = Workbooks("*the spreadsheet*.xlsx")
                                            'Store worbook with Q1 actuals into variable
Set wbConsolidator = Workbooks("Consolidator.xlsm")
                                            'Store consolidation worbook into variable

If wsExist = True Then                     'Check if wsExist is true
        wbQ1Actuals.Worksheets(tabName).Activate
        Set searchRange = Range("A1", Range("A65536").End(xlUp))
        Set firstDataCell = searchRange.Find(Budget, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
                                                'Find the first row with actuals percentages
        Set lastDataCell = searchRange.Find("Total:", LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
                                                'Find the sum row to track last row with actuals percentages

Else
        notIn414 = notIn414 & lastName & "," & firstName & ":"
                                                'Write the employee's name to the log to check in the next budget
    End If   

wbConsolidator.Activate                         'Activate the main spreadsheet

MsgBox lastDataCell.Row                         'Verify the last cell reference is correct

I think the VBA tries to store the cell in the wbQ1Actuals workbook, but I'm not sure if this is the case. I get the error regardless of position relative to 'wbConsolidator.Activate'. If you need more information, please let me know. I'm sure I left out some critical detail.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Additional Information:

I modified my MsgBox to the following VBA:

VBA Code:
If lastDataCell Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox "The variable is blank."
Else
    MsgBox lastDataCell
End If

I get the message that the variable is blank.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreeCricketId

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back