multidimensional arrays

goman19

Hi all, I've got 2 related questions:

(1) I am trying to define a two-dimensional array. The size of the array will vary somewhat, and each element of the array will have 3-5 subelements (overall, probably 75x5 max). Is there a way to build an array that flexes in size like that? Right now I'm trying to define a fixed array, but I haven't managed to get very far with this. Right now I'm trying to populate the array like this:

Code:
Dim data as variant

data(1)(1) = "Bob"
data(1)(2) = 35

data(2)(1) = "John"
data(2)(2) = 42

At this point I don't know if that will even work, but I'm hoping it will. Are array dimensions automatically flexible based on the number of entries?

(2) I have two different procedures that need access to the same data, which is being entered into the array above. Is it possible to call a third procedure which actually defines the array, and then pass that array up to the main procedure? Generally I thought this needed to be done with a function since I'm basically returning a parameter, but I didn't think you could define a function outside the context of an established procedure, i.e. the array-building function would need to be separately defined for each procedure, forcing me to maintain two identical arrays in separate procedures.

I know these are probably pretty basic coding questions but I am entirely self-taught with VBA so my knowledge is fairly sporadic in places (lots of trial by error) - sorry.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
The only way to have a jagged array in vba is to use an array of arrays. You need to declare the array dynamically and then resize it using redim preserve.
You can certainly have a function declared on its own and called from several other subs.

Upvote 0
I can probably make it dynamic but have a constant number of subelements to the array.

I think there may be a better way to do what I want to do than arrays. I want to check a cell for some value, search against an array (or something, maybe a case?) to match it, and then populate other cells based on what else is associated with that value. For example, I want to match the value of cell A1 ("Bob") with some 2D array value or a case, and then populate cells A2 - A6 with the data from the array/case associated with "Bob". It's sort of like a lookup table.

I'm afraid that by defining it as an array in a function, I will bog down the macro because the array gets created every time the function is called, and I only really need a small portion of the total data at any given time.

Is there a better way to do what I want?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back