Multiple (3-way) lookups

cidgreen

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it having searched the forum, and it is something that has been driving me insane for months.

I need, somehow, to create a three-way lookup to find a value in a spreadsheet.

To put it in context, I have in column A a list of English Premiership football teams. I have in column B dates of each of their matches since 1992. I have in column C a "W", "L" or "D" for the result of the match. And in column D I have a formula calculating the current run of matches without a win (reset to zero if they win, add one to the previous number if they don't win).

Basically, I need to find the current run of games without a win for a particular team. For example, I need to find the current run of matches without a win for Everton (i.e. the value in the 'runs' column which corresponds to both Everton and the more recent date).

This is something I have always needed to do but have always gone about it in a ridiculously long-winded way, making my files way too big.

If anyone could help, or direct me to somewhere that could show me how to do this, that would be a massive help to me.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help,
Chris.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
On 2002-08-27 03:15, cidgreen wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it having searched the forum, and it is something that has been driving me insane for months.

I need, somehow, to create a three-way lookup to find a value in a spreadsheet.

To put it in context, I have in column A a list of English Premiership football teams. I have in column B dates of each of their matches since 1992. I have in column C a "W", "L" or "D" for the result of the match. And in column D I have a formula calculating the current run of matches without a win (reset to zero if they win, add one to the previous number if they don't win).

Basically, I need to find the current run of games without a win for a particular team. For example, I need to find the current run of matches without a win for Everton (i.e. the value in the 'runs' column which corresponds to both Everton and the more recent date).

This is something I have always needed to do but have always gone about it in a ridiculously long-winded way, making my files way too big.

If anyone could help, or direct me to somewhere that could show me how to do this, that would be a massive help to me.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help,
Chris.
Chris,

I'm not Exactly sure what the output you want is but I have come up with 2 array formulas type the details in as before(Do not enter the curvy brackets) but press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. To enter the formula.

I have used 2 cells, the 1st calculates the Date of the last win

The second calculates the number of matches since the last win.

Please see the Table below.

Hope this helps
Sean :)
Book2
ABCDEFG
1TeamDateW/L/D
2EV01/01/02LLastWinNoMatches
3LIV01/01/02W
4LIV02/01/02WEV06/01/024
5EV02/01/02L
6EV03/01/02L
7EV04/01/02W
8EV05/01/02L
9EV06/01/02W
10EV07/01/02L
11EV08/01/02L
12EV09/01/02L
13EV10/01/02L
Sheet1

If this is what you are wanting you can combine the 2 cells into one. but thought I would check 1st.
_________________<MARQUEE/><A HREF= "http://website.lineone.net/~s-o-s/Index.html">
image001.gif
</MARQUEE>
This message was edited by s-o-s on 2002-08-27 05:25

Upvote 0
Thanks Sean, that's excellent.

I'm almost there, at least in terms of understanding what you've suggested. But I've copied out your example into a blank sheet and I can't seem to get it to work.

If I choose EV for the selection in cell E4, it returns zero for both F4 and G4.

Yet if I enter LIV in E4, it returns the last date in the list (10/01/2002) in F4 and zero in G4.

I have checked that everything has been entered correctly, and everything is in the right place, but I can't seem to sort it out. Am I doing something wrong?

Once again, thanks for your help,
Chris.

Upvote 0
Chris,

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll Email the sheet through to you.

It works correctly for me...

Or send me your file and I'll look through later today/tonight

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks Sean that's brilliant, I've just sent you the sheet I'm trying to sort out.

Thanks very much for your help,
Chris.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KB13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back