Multiple Criteria Ranking without Skipping Numbers when there are Duplicates

LauraSophie

Hi,
I am trying to rank a list of orders withing a container based on their shipment date. The difficulty is that within each container there can be multiople orders with the same shipment date. I can use SUMPRODUCT to rank multiple criteria and get the order within each container. The difficulty I am having is that when there are multiple orders with the same date within one container, the SUMPRODUCT formula skips numbers. Please can anyone help?
Below is an example of the data with what I would like the rank to return and what SUMPRODUCT is currently giving me. It would usually be thousands of lines that are added so sorting etc isn't an option and it needs to be formula driven though helper columns shouldn't be a problem if needed.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

CONTAINERORDER SHIPDATEUnique Shipment
SUMPRODUCT
A03/01/190011
A03/01/190011
A03/03/190123
A03/03/190123
B
03/01/190011
B
02/01/201722
B02/01/201722
B02/06/201734
B02/07/201745
C03/01/190011
C03/03/190122

<colgroup><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I am not sure I understand what you mean by skipping them, if your purpose is to RANK; the value of 2 is technically correct. Are you trying to get a distinct/unique list for each container?

Upvote 0
I am not sure I understand what you mean by skipping them, if your purpose is to RANK; the value of 2 is technically correct. Are you trying to get a distinct/unique list for each container?

Hi, thanks.
Sorry the values in blue under 'Unique Shipment' are correct and what I would like the formulae to return but I have entered these manually. The column headed SUMPRODUCT is the one which is formula driven. The 2's are correct but then using the formula it skips to 4 when the next one should be listed as 3. Hope that makes sense. Thanks

Upvote 0
Assuming that your blue column is Col C:
Paste this in there, this isn't condition based; meaning for each for each Container, youll have to paste; condition based you are looking at an array most likely

Code:
=RANK(B2,$B$2:$B$5,1)+COUNTIF($B$2:B2,B2)-1

Upvote 0
Thanks - Sorry for the delay. I still haven't managed to crack this one!

Unfortunately it needs to be condition based as there are thousands of containers so I don't want to have to redo the formula for each one!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back