Multiple Criteria Sorting

Smoken55

Hello All. My first Post here. I've searched the KB but I couldn't find what I was looking for. If someone has seen my type of issue in the KB, if you would, please let me know where.
Otherwise --
Objective: 1) Identify multiple rows (could be 2 rows or 3 rows...) that contains identical data in specific cells (ID #). 2) Compare data (from all identified rows) in specific cells that is different. 3) Eliminate the unwanted rows.

Data: I have a worksheet that contains Names, ID #'s, Descriptions, dates, status... and so on. I could have the same person (meaning: same name, same ID #, same date) but their date and/or status may differ. I would want to keep the most current row that has a status of "Successful" and remove the other records of this person from the file.

NameID #StatusDate
bob jones123456Not Evaluated05/01/2016
bob jones123456Successful05/02/2016
bob jones123456Successful05/01/2016
Karen james654321Not Evaluated02/05/2017
Karen james654321Unsuccessful03/06/2017

<tbody>
</tbody>

Using the example above, I have bob 3 times (3 rows). My target is that he is "Successful" but I don't want the last instance or last row, I need the most current date. Also, I would need to do the same check for each unique person (for Karen and others as well). I have over 3000 unique people, so potentially I could have 9000 +- total rows on the worksheet to sort through. I have to do this check every week, so if I could automate this as a Macro or as a template, that would be great! I could probably figure out how to read in the file in VBA, but it's how to identify the row(s) that I need, that's what I need help with.

Environment: Windows10 Pro., Office 365

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Hi Smoken55,

what you could do to solve this without macros: add a column with the COUNTIFS formula.
If I take your data and put it in a worksheet on B1:E6 (headers in row 1) and put this formula in A2:
=COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$6,B2,$C$2:$C$6,C2,$E$2:$E$6,">="&E2)

That gives me a "1" for each unique row with the maximum date for that type (on name and ID#).
Hope that helps,
Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocketslinger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back