Multiple Data Validation Checks

TAPS_MikeDion

Office Version
  1. 2011
Platform
  1. MacOS
Sorry all, I haven't been able to find a solution to this so I'm throwing it out there in hopes someone might be able to help. It seems pretty simple and straightforward, but I can't seem to get it to work.

1. I'm already using Data Validation to warn the user if they attempt to enter data (i.e. hours) into a cell in column I if column J in the same row contains an X.
  2. I would like to add another Data Validation to warn the user if they attempt to put an X in column C if column J in the same row contains an X.
  3. After highlighting the cells I was going to use the Data Validation for and I click on Data Validation, it says "The selection contains more than one type of validation."

I'm only using the Data Validation mentioned in #1, but I don't know if you can use Data Validation for more than one instance.

Thanks for any help given!

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
You should have a data validation in Column C and another in Column I. Make separate ones, both being a Custom Formula of =$J2="X"

Upvote 0
Hi TAPS_MikeDion,

You must already have some Data Validation in column C.

TAPS_MikeDion.xlsx
CDHIJ
1Entry 2Entry 1Data
2Catx
3DogX
4XXX
6Dog
7Cat
82X
Sheet1
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
I2:I8Custom=J2<>"X"
C2:C8Custom=NOT(AND(J2="X",C2="X"))

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the help, but I got it this morning. Part of the problem was that I had not used Data Validation in a long time and I was actually highlighting the entire area as though I was creating a conditional format, instead of only highlighting column C.

I Forgot to mention that the rows start at 5, not 2, but that was an easy correction.

Anyway, I simply used =$J5<>"x" as the custom formula and the Data Validation worked perfectly.

Thanks again for trying to help me out!

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back