Multiple Dropdown lists

march

Hi All,

Hoping you can help with the following please. I need to be able to present a list of engineers capable of performing a role based on the support area and the level of experience. To add an extra element, some of the engineers are capable in multiple areas.

I've created a number of named lists such as:
Support_Area : Server, Network, Storage
Role_Level: Junior, Mid, Senior
Along with individual named lists which contain all the engineers for each support_area, role_level. I.e.
Server_Junior {Engineer 1, Engineer 2} ; this references A3 down
Server_Mid {Engineer 3, Engineer 4}, this references B3 down
Storage_Junior {Engineer 2, Engineer 12} ; this references I3 down

What I have so far a drop-down in Column C (Support_Area) , followed by drop-down in Column D (Role_Level), the Column E (Engineer) needs to present a drop-down list (such as Server_Junior) of the relevant engineers capable of the earlier 2 selections.

How would I go about getting the column E populated with a drop-down list without putting in a rather excessive IF statement for every scenario?

If it's not possible to do it the way I've currently go it, what are the alternatives?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,

March

Attachments

• Engineer Selection.PNG
    Engineer Selection.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Resources.PNG
    Resources.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Sorry not sure how to edit my original post.
This is what the messy IF statement would look like:

=IF(AND(C2="SERVER",D2="Junior"),SVR_JNR,IF(AND(C2="SERVER",D2="Mid"),SVR_MID,IF(AND(C2="SERVER",D2="Senior"),,IF(AND(C2="NETWORK",D2="Junior"),NWK_JNR,IF(AND(C2="NETWORK",D2="Mid"),NWK_MID,IF(AND(C2="NETWORK",D2="Senior"),NWK_SNR,IF(AND(C2="STORAGE",D2="Junior"),STO_JNR,IF(AND(C2="STORAGE",D2="Mid"),STO_MID,IF(AND(C2="STORAGE",D2="Senior"),STO_SNR,))))))))

Problem is it's waaaay to big for data validation to present back a list, which then also has the other side effect of not being scalable at all so if i do increase the number of support areas i can't in this scenario at all (not that I can now anyway as the above formula is over 250odd characters)

Any help would be massive.
Thanks All,

March

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back