Multiple Excel Workbooks Open

amunrohanover

Working inExcel 2016 - I typically have anywhere between 5-9 workbooks open at one time,working in them all simultaneously. I amtrying to figure out how to not have them linked in a way where if I save one workbook that it doesn’t freeze up the other workbooks(showing the action of saving the one in the status bar at the bottom of eachworkbook). I have to wait until the one is done saving before I can do anything– click into a cell, scroll, or anything in any other excel sheet.

I’m living with it and putting my worksheets to OneDrive hasactually sped it up significantly, so that helps, but thought if there was away I’d reach out to see if anyone else knew about it! I know it’s a mereseconds of waiting, but it adds up over time.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Excel uses a multi-Document interface. So there is the single application running the multiple workbooks you have open. This allows you to move/copy sheets from one workbook to another. It is also why when saving one of these books, you have to wait to be able to anything in another.

You can run multiple Instances of Excel. This prevents the ability to move/copy sheets between books (and other limitations) but allows you to save a book in one Instance and continue working normally in a different Instance.

Hold ALT down and click an Excel launcher. Continue Holding ALT to asked if you want to start a new Instance.

Some applications that export to Excel also start new Instances of Excel causing headaches for some users.
Also, editing of the Personal Macro Workbook can only be done in the first instance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back