Multiple Indirect functions in same equation

ben_sorensen

So here is what I am trying to do:

=IFNA(IF(ISNONTEXT(U7),"",RANK.EQ(W7,INDIRECT(M7&N7):INDIRECT(O7&P7)+COUNTIF($W$7:W7,W7)-1),"")

I am trying to establish a ranking on different items down a list so there are as many as 50 items and 20 subsets of each item, I put them all in the same list for the sake of simplicity of viewing, the issue that I had was that I need to rank them according to each items subsets, so item 1 would have 20 subset items that need to be ranked and so on down the line.

I can use one indirect in my equation no problem but it won't allow me to use two indirect functions like that, does anybody have any solutions for this. I AM DESPERATE!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Give this a shot...
=iferror(IF(ISTEXT(U7),RANK.EQ(W7,INDIRECT(M7&N7"":"&O7&P7)+COUNTIF($W$7:W7,W7)-1,""),"")

Upvote 0
I still get an error when I do that equation, the error still appears to pop up from the indirect and it doesn't even color the O7 or P7 cells

Upvote 0
When I need to do an involved/complex INDIRECT, I do it in small parts.
Start off wit a fixed version of your formula, that you know that works (no indirect, just actual references)
edit the formula and remove the = so the cell just shows the actual formula
start putting the INDIRECT together, and use the Fx key (to the left of the formula bar) to make your INDIRECT product exactly what your "real" formula looks like

Once you have that part worked out, you can then put in the fiddly/fancy bits like error checking, IF etc

Upvote 0
Wow, that got it to work, that is weird that just pulling up the old Fx box and typing it in there made it work. I knew that all of the equation worked just fine, because I normally have the same policy as you, I start out really simple and then build on from there, I guess going more "old school" helped me solve the problem.

THANKS A TON!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back