Multiple Merge Queries - what do I do with all the "unwanted" tables?

btreg

A bit of a conceptual question.....

I have a main data table in Power Query, plus five other tables that I want to "Merge" with the main table, in order to add additional columns of data.

Every time I run a Merge query between the main table and each of the five other tables, there will be a resulting table which is the original main table plus each new column.

I will therefore end up with six copies of the main table in my model, only one of which I actually want to use.

Does this cause an efficiency problem, having all of these "unwanted" tables in my model? Is there a more efficient approach?

I will want to refresh the model every month, so don't Imagine that I can delete the "unwanted" tables?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Simply put. Do not load all tables to the model. Use connection only without any other flag set. The combined table you load to the data model.

Upvote 0
Merge has several different methods. Look at the drop down - it explains what it's going to do pretty well.
What you might want instead is Append tables. An Append will tack the data of matching column names to the end of the column, and new columns will be added as needed with the first table's row for the new column set to null.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back