Multiple questions about Excel project timeline, % formulas, refresh timeline

Please_Help_Me

Hello,

I am working on an Excel project that lists the timeline for certain tasks. I have most of the design created but need help with the advanced formulas that will make it dynamic and work correctly. I would greatly appreciate it and thank you for your time in helping me. I will list my questions below:

1. At the top of my worksheet there is a place where I can enter the start date and end date of a project. Once I enter those dates, how do I get my bar chart to re-adjust to those specific dates? The start of the chart needs to be the "Start Date" and the end of the chart needs to be the "End Date". I can manually adjust this time frame by going into the "Format Axis" options and entering the minimum and maximum bounds but I can't figure out how do this automatically or with a macro/VB button.

2. Currently the data filling the chart is based on the "Start", "End" and "Days" columns. Is there a way to dynamically allocate the "days" column based on a percentage? Maybe the "Start" date could be entered in the column and instead of an "End" column, it could be a column listing the percentage of time that is based on the project final End Date listed at the top of the spreadsheet?

3. Is there a way to add more features in the list, under the "Task Name" column and have the chart and "Days" column dynamically change based on a percentage of the End Date listed at the top of the spreadsheet? So if the Start Date was today (July 27, 2016) and the End Date was August 27, 2016, there would be 31 days in the project. If I add a feature, is there a way to get all the other features days to auto adjust based on the time frame? I may need to add another column in the information table called "% of project" or something then assign a certain percentage to each task, would that work or is there an easier way?

It doesn't look like I'm able to attach my spreadsheet or a picture of it to this thread due to permissions. If there is any way I can post these, i'll do it. It would be hard to understand what I'm talking about without seeing the project.

Thank you for all your help and for taking the time to read this post
-Eric

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hmmm, should be able to calculate a percentage like this (using Row5):
A B C D E F
'HDR' days until done start date end date duration % Done % Not Done
'Formulas' =(C5-TODAY()) 5/10/2016 =B5+D5 91 =A5/D5 =1-E5
'Values' 8 5/10/2016 8/9/2016 91 8.8% 91.2%

Getting your chart bars to react to these numbers will likely require a pivot table.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back