Multiple random distrubution of a list without repetetion

Bangeel

Hi every body....
I work in a college were students are randomly distributed into groups every block (block=2 months)...
i made a simple VBA code for this but I've faced a problem: by chance, some students were distributed into the same group more than once e.g. student who is in groups 3 still in the same groups next block which in unacceptable.
can anybody Help Me.....

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi every body....
I work in a college were students are randomly distributed into groups every block (block=2 months)...
i made a simple VBA code for this but I've faced a problem: by chance, some students were distributed into the same group more than once e.g. student who is in groups 3 still in the same groups next block which in unacceptable.
can anybody Help Me.....

N.B: here is the file a made: http://ifile.it/mxfgi4a

Upvote 0
If this is a no-one can sit with the same person twice problem it gets very hard very quickly - depending on how far back the rule goes. There is a whole literature on the mathematics around it!

If you are only interested in two or three turns then you can do it by setting up a matrix for each table which determines who is available based on previous events and then picking the group members one at a time and updating your matrix each time (as your availability matrix gets smaller and smaller very quickly as it excludes everyone who has been with anyone in the group). This gets very hard as it gets bigger.

You will find that - depending on how restrictive your rules are - that the combinations become impossible and you have to keep trying until you fnd a combination that works.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back