Multiple rows in Access Report

vavs

I have a report that if left alone would span 2 sheets in landscape layout. What I want to do is have the information "doubled up" on the sheet. That is have a two tier report.

The headings would be like this

Part# Year/Wk Order # Vendor Code
PO# Line Release Qty

U 000000 005309 0000 2011-19 25847 15458901
P089620 1 45000

This would make the information flow together nicely also especially if I can position the columns correctly.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Vavs, pretty easy fix actually. Make sure that you are in design mode for your report and add a text box control to the details section of your report. Set the control source of that new text box to the same as another one that is stuck in the column. You can move that text box and the associated label around freely as loong as you are holding the Ctrl button at the same time. Holding Ctrl will keep the text box from getting stacked with the others.

Then delete the exisiting stacked textbox and label. Hope this makes sense - I had to do the same this week.

Upvote 0
I'm not understanding the "stuck in a column" part of the issue. I don't see a need for new controls and ctrl+dragging. Can't you just drag the controls that are way off the right so they're located in a second row as you have illustrated?

Rich

Upvote 0
When someone uses the report wizard, the report that is created has all the fields from table or query formatted with the labels at the top of each page. These fields are anchored to each other and the only way they can be moved is to reorganize the order that they are in within the same "row." I have not found a way to unanchor these labels or textboxes and move them freely, but if you recreate the textbox, you can manipulate it freely and it won't become anchored as long as you are using Ctrl while moving it.

And maybe there is a way to unanchor them, but I have yet to find it. Hope this makes sense to you. Create a test report based off of some table or query and go to design view. Try to drag the textboxes and you will see what I am saying.

Upvote 0
Ok, I found it. Left click on whatever label you are wanting to move and under the layout menu, click stacked. This will allow you to freely resize and move what you need. Might still need to be careful and click Ctrl to avoid it being anchored back into the anchored row.

Upvote 0
Crazy wizards. You can also cut and paste the label. As long as you don't have another control selected it will be pasted as a free-standing label. If you do have another control selected pasting the label connects it to that control.

hth,

Rich

Upvote 0
Yeah, I thought of that too right before I found that "stacked" option. Sometimes I choose the path of most resistance until I learn the path of least resistance.

Ok, I found it. Left click on whatever label...

That is supposed to be "right click."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Montez,
The right click option works famously. If you combine it with a couple of nice sorts it is really quite amazing as far as what you can do. Every time I ask a question on this site I am astonished at the high level of support that is provided. This gets me so much closer to what I need and I was able to do it a tenth of the time it would have taken me on my own.

Thank you thank you thank you.

revans thanks to you for jumping in.

Upvote 0
Glad it works!

I like to try to help when I can because it helps me to learn in the long run. Like this problem for instance - not sure I would have ever found the answer unless I was forced to go outside of what I already know.

Upvote 0
As a follow up, I know my instructions were to click the "stacked" selection under layout. I jsut read this past weeken that if one actually clicks "remove" this will completely unanchor the selected item. Works best if done on all items, otherwise the anchored items might end up moving around and confusing things.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back