Multiple users (around 6) updating one master workbook. What are my options?

CBG_Russ

Hello and thank you in advance for taking the time to look at this problem.

I am needing to build a vehicle delivery sheet that will have around 50 columns and will contain macros. I have done this multiple times and am very happy with how to achieve this but the problem we have is that we need around 6 users to update this sheet but we don't want to be asking who is in the workbook all the time to come out so another user can update it.

I know you can share a workbook but from reading a few other forum posts it looks like that will cause some of its own issues.

My other thought and preferred method would be to use VBA and update a Master workbook that everyone updates from 6 individual workbooks that each user would use exclusively but not sure how I would deal with multiple updates.

Are there any solutions that will make this work and as seamlessly as possible to the users?

I suspect most of the individual sheets will be open most of the day.

Many thanks

Russell

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Co-authoring seems to be the better option. But for that to properly work you need the workbook to be in a Onedrive for business folder (or in Sharepoint) as part of an office 365 license.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. Will Macros work OK with co-authoring and what happens if a macro sorts the sheet?

We don't currently have Office 365 but may need to look into it.

Upvote 0
Hi,
as already suggested, co-authoring in the later versions of Excel is the way forward for requirements like yours. However, for those without this, your suggestion of a Master workbook (database) & individual workbooks writing their data to it is doable.

Have a look here: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1005007-standard-entry-another-worksheet.html

#Post 10 for an example of code I helped another with here who had similar requirement & see if it can be adapted to your specific project need.

Hope Helpful

Dave

Upvote 0
That is one of the limitations of co-authoring: If any user sorts (or filters!), all users get that same sort applied within a few seconds. I guess a two-workbook approach would be better in this case.

Upvote 0
or you go to Access to handle the user input. You could still use Excel or PowerBI/PowerPivot for any analysis.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back