Multiple Users on a Combo Box Based Form

rjblasius

I have run into a problem with a form and looking for help or a suggestion.

I have a combo box that selects a "to do" reference number based on a query from a list of loaded values each day. The form fills out itself and the user can make audits and adds additional information. Once the record is completed it gets a value entered into a field and the form closes saving it to the master file of the records year to date. It then reopens and the record is removed from the list "to do" because it filters on the "Completed Audit" field.

What I need to do since there will be 5+ users at the same time going through the list is to prevent a person creating a master list record someone else is already working on so duplication doesn't occur.

The problem i am facing is that the record they are creating in the master table is a active field and even though I tried creating a filter, until the form is closed or another record is selected person two can still see that item on the combo box.

So quick explaination of the flow

Daily sheet (excel) > tbl to store new records loaded (access) > form pulls tbl data and starts a new entry which users are editing.

Thanks,
Robert Blasius

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
You would need a field in this table to store the user's name. So when the user selects the record from the combo box the user's name is stored in the table. When another user selects the record, check the field, if it's empty give the user the record, otherwise give a message "record being edited by [user name]".

This might not work so well with a bound form as the currently edited row is being edited (obviously) so someone else coming along may not see the new data until it's written. This means you'll have to save the row after each field is edited and that may or may not be desireable.

You could try an unbound form with an object to marshal the data behind the scenes but this can be complicated.

hth,

Rich

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back