Multiple Workbooks HELP Please

daleholden

Board Regular
Hi
I need to know if i can upgrade data from 1 workbook to another on the same machine.

I have a master workbook with several sheets i use. Sheet 1 is the main database for me to record work my staff complete.

The fields are simple Date of incident Date allocated Name Address several more and Date Submitted back to me.

On the other sheets i have pivot tables and graphs on others.

QUERY

When i go on holiday i copy my sheet 1 the main database to another workbook. I have a assistant who enters new data and updates old data with Date returned. Is it possible to update my main datatbase with the date he is adding to the copy workbook.

Hope that makes sense, it would save me having to copy and paste the temp sheet into the main database.

Cheers Dale

This message was edited by daleholden on 2002-09-23 18:17

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
You could copy all data in sheet1 (with new data) and Paste special > Paste Link into your other workbook (old data) and then in what was the old data copy > paste special > values over the new data.

Upvote 0
The other way of doing this - (which would mean starting something new but that would solve these problems once and for all) - would be to create a template. You can use either a template wizard or you could code a similar process yourself. The basic premise being that you have one template that contains all the fields you want to appear in your database; when someone enters information and then saves the template it posts the data as a new line in your database. ie. you would only need one template (for both you and your staff to use to update the dbase), yet you could then run off your pivots etc from the database (within the new database file).

Make sense?

Upvote 0
Select the range, copy, select the first cell in the new workbook, and right mouse over it, select paste special > paste link or values.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back