Multiple year data displayed chronologically

WxShady13

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
HELP!!! I have several years worth of data (i.e. Headcount, Terminations, etc.) all on the same table with a single date field. When I sort by Months obviously it will group all months data together and not distinguish by year. I need to actually display the data by week and if possible not make use of a Year slicer (i.e. just a rolling 12 months worth of data by week.) Right now when it is displayed I cannot get the visual (line graph) to distinguish between years, and stay within the confines of the visual (it pops up a scroll bar at the bottom). What can I do?

Attachments

• Headcount Visual.JPG
    Headcount Visual.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Create a column concatenated Year&Week use that to sort it will always group by week of year and stay chronological...

Upvote 0
The problem with doing that is it runs everything together (i.e. 201953). Is there a way to set it up where it would look like 2019-53 or can I now use it to sort the Week Number?

Upvote 0
merge these columns with delimiter -
PowerPivot
=[Year]&"-"&[Week]
or
PowerQuery
#"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, {{"Year", type text}, {"Week", type text}}, "en-GB"),{"Year", "Week"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.None),"YW")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sandy and CSmith thank you both for your help. The problem when I merge the columns is it still displays wrong. Also how do I avoid the scroll bar appearing?

Attachments

• PowerBI SnipIt.JPG
    PowerBI SnipIt.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
with your setup you need this =YEAR&"-"&RIGHT("0"&WEEK,2)
And scroll bar is dependant on amount of data points... Not sure what you want smaller chart or?

Upvote 0
Thank you...I figured out why the order was wrong (I was not sorting by Year Week). As for data points I need to display a rolling 12 month timeframe. I have a column that determines what week # should display. I am space limited on this page and the customer does not want another page. I didnt know if there was a way to force the visual not to extend beyond the confines so that a scroll bar doesnt show, rather all the data is contained within the visual.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back