multiplying cells without having to make new ones

lud

alrite, heres my idea. i am making up a nutritional diet plan for myself. i ha ve the columns split up into protein, carbs, fat, calories.. what i want to do is have something like a "Quantity" cell, where if i put in a certain #, it changes the value of the cells to whatever that original value, times the quantity value.. I dont want to have to make new cells, i just want the value in the original cell to get multiplied by the new quantity.
for ex..
original cell has 50 in it
then i put 5 in the quantity cell
and that original cell of 50 changes to 250

how do i do this? thanks.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.

XLGibbs

You could do this, and just HIDE column B after your base number of 50 is there (assuming your base is for quantity of 1 all the time)
Book1
ABCD
1TotalCaloriesQuantity
Sheet1

lud

but the only thing is, i have like 4 separate columns rite next to each other..
and it would get confusing if i had to do that like 8 times lol.. any alternatives?

XLGibbs

Not really, in order to "do the math" you have to have the original number and the quantity and result in seperate cells unless you want VBA code to do it.

barry houdini

MrExcel MVP
Could you just "hard code" your original value, e.g. if the quantity cell is E1 you use the formula

=E1*50

XLGibbs

Of course! My interpretation was that she had the original value and quantity already on the sheet, and was hoping to update the values without re-doing the whole thing...

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeaniacExpress