Multiplying Fields

AustinL

Board Regular
I am somewhat new to this and may be overlooking something obvious but I can not figure out how to multiply the data. I have a table full of data, I need to multiply with an "if" formula. The table of data includes among other things the employee/ associate, work preformed, and hours worked. I need something that can take each job preformed and multiply it by that associate's hourly wage. So what I need I guess is an "if" formula that would be able to say something like.....if the associate's name = jim, then multiply the hours worked by $100.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Do you have a table with the employee name/id and the value to multiply by?

If you do then you shouldn't need an If, you should just be able to link tables.

Upvote 0
No I don't. Is that something I need to add. My only table (over 2000 lines) is the one I explained earlier. If I would add a table of associates rates then what would I do?

For example, If I make a table like this:
Jim = 100 per hour
Tony = 150 per hour
Mike = 90 per hour
Susie = 110 per hour

What would I do next?

Upvote 0
Austin

If you were to add a table for the rates it would need a field for the associate and a field for their rate.

You should then be able to link the 2 tables and get the correct rate for each associate and use that in the multiplication.

Upvote 0
I think I understand the concept but I am not sure how to physically do it. I now have a new table with each employee and rate, however I am not sure how to link it. I want to have a query, or something, that will look at the employee who preformed the work and then multiply it by their hourly rate. For example:

emp job hrs amnt

jim work 5 hr ?
bob work 2 hr ?
jim work 3 hr ?
bob work 3 hr ?
phil work 1 hr ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back